IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Emory - SICK LIST

To all those who know or served with John Emory (aka Big John, Big Bird, et al):

John is currently confined to a health care facility in Conroe, Texas. He is suffering from a disease that is akin to Parkinson's Disease. John "has his moments" when he may "slip into the past" - or is unable to distinguish between "real and unreal". Presently, he is doing quite well and would welcome hearing from those who have known him, especially anyone who served with him in the system.

John's wife, Edie, has requested that I post a message on this website, so that anyone who knew or served with "Big John" might send a card, or just write a note, in hopes that it will help raise his spirits.

A Christmas card with a caring note would be perfect!! This would mean a lot to both John and Edie who met and married in Hawaii, I am guessing 32 years ago.

John and I did our first four year hitches together in the Navy. He and I were in Boot Camp at Great Lakes together, then in the same class at Key West (behind the "Green Doors") - then hit the same West Coast NavFacs (Pac Beach, SNI, and Coos Head) almost simultaneously !! We then parted ways (for a while) when I got orders for the commissioning of NavFac Adak in October of 1962 and John went on to a civilian career with Bell Labs and later TRW.

John devoted his next 30+ years to a civilian career within the SOSUS/IUSS system. We met and served together several times during those years, and have been life-long friends. Our final duty station, together, was at COSP/NOPF Ford Island, HI when I retired in July of 1981. However, we continued our working relationship for the next several years when both of us worked at TRW in support of IUSS.

After his years at COSP/NOPF Hawaii, John and Edie transferred to Whidbey Island, WA - where John finally retired and lived in nearby Ferndale, WA.

At the onset of John's battle with his current condition, they moved to Magnolia Texas (2-3 years ago), to be near Edie's sister. Edie's sister and husband have been a fountain of support for both John and Edie.

Contact Information:

John Emory
Conroe Health Care Facility - Room 116
2019 N. Frazier St.
Conroe, TX 77301

If you wish to write or call Edie:

John and Edie Emory
22729 Desert Willow Dr.
Magnolia, TX 77355
Phone: (832) 521-3254

Thanking all, in advance, for your support in reaching out to a former friend/acquaintance.

Irv (Dee) DeMatties

Re: John Emory - SICK LIST

Irv,
So sorry to hear about John ("Big Bird"). I too have known him for a long time. I will forward your message to those on my list that know John. Ed Smock

John Hope things are going well for you. I've got a load of jokes saved up so send email address at the facility you're in. Also send phone number if possible.

The old standby, Ed Smock, made this connection possible so I'm hoping to hear from you.

Frank

Frank
The message regarding John Emory's current condition was posted by me. Please see my original posting (above) for details regarding correspondence with John.
At present, John does not have an e.mail address at the facility he is in.

Regards.........Irv (Dee) DeMatties

Visits: