Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Christmas Past

Very well put George...it touches on many memories of the 24 Christmas's past. How could there have been so many...seems such a short while ago. Thank you for bringing those wonderful memories to mind.

Just a bit of news...my son Jonathon just made MMC in the Coast Guard this last week and has orders to San Diego in June.

Hope this finds all of you in good cheer, as well as good health. Wishing all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Bless you all....Thom and Myra

And...having the CO visit on Christmas eve with a bottle of good chjear....to share a toast with the watch...

George

Thanks for your recent post on Christmases Past. You certainly have a knack for conjuring up things from the past - and you pretty much outdid yourself again......I had forgotten all about the carbon dust on the sugar cookies !!!

As the years go by, I seldom recall the "little things" that meant so much back then, very simple - but meaningful pleasures. But all the things you mentioned probably brought back at least one long-forgotten memory for most of us. Thanks for the memories.

The two things I remember most about our 20+ Christmases in the Navy were:

(1) The many gatherings (large and small) of shipmates and families. Sometimes it was a command function: I recall the NavFac spaghetti dinners on Adak (shortly before Christmas) with the wives bringing all sorts of Christmas "goodies" - and similar functions in Bermuda and Hawaii (Chuck Cable playing Santa in Bermuda, Craig Barnhart doing his magic in Hawaii). The kids always seemed as though they would literally "burst at the seams" with all the excitement and wondement !!

Then, there were the smaller get togethers with one or two of our "best friend couples" - sometimes with an exchage of small gifts. ALWAYS with a generous amount of eggnog and rum - as well as a fine selection of other spirits.

(2) Christmas eve church services - was a quiet time for our family to reflect on the many blessings we enjoyed throughout the year, and to celebrate the true meaning of Christmas, as well as our committment to God, Country, Family and Friends. That is still very much part of who we remain as a family, today.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas and all the best to you in the years ahead.

Irv (Dee) and Linda

Yes George and Dee the memories just come flooding back from Argentia NFLD, our first Christmas as a married couple. We were living with Ed and Barb Mulhauser (sp) in a cottage in Freshcreek owned by Mr Mayer. We were waiting for an appartment to open up in Freshcreek also owned by Mr. Mayer.
In Hawaii I purchased a Santa Suit and that is where my I started to play Santa to our daughter and Dave & Bonnie Williams' son. I do remember "Bag Man" at the Airport at various times throughout the yeas(s) while stationed there. Bermuda 1st tour saw Santa make many appearances at gatherings, and private homes. My first Elf was not typical in appearance as the typical Ell, but my second tour did offer a more typical Elf.
Times sure does not stand still even for a second!

ALL, have a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year.

Chuck & Linda

Chuck & Linda Year

Re: Christmas Past correction (Freshwater) Freshcreek is Andros Bahamas,

Chuck Cable
Yes George and Dee the memories just come flooding back from Argentia NFLD, our first Christmas as a married couple. We were living with Ed and Barb Mulhauser (sp) in a cottage in Freshwater owned by Mr Mayer. We were waiting for an appartment to open up in Freshwater also owned by Mr. Mayer.
In Hawaii I purchased a Santa Suit and that is where my I started to play Santa to our daughter and Dave & Bonnie Williams' son. I do remember "Bag Man" at the Airport at various times throughout the yeas(s) while stationed there. Bermuda 1st tour saw Santa make many appearances at gatherings, and private homes. My first Elf was not typical in appearance as the typical Ell, but my second tour did offer a more typical Elf.
Times sure does not stand still even for a second!

ALL, have a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year.

Chuck & Linda

These memories always remind me of Christmas in Hawaii, when the QA division put on the Christmas party for the kids, and OTAC Jerry Giles played Santa. He even got the Fire department to haul him in on the fire engine. The first kid to cry when sitting on Santa's lap was his own.

Nice post, George! I reflected back when you mentioned the Navy Exchange and recalled the many "layaways" that Chris I made over the years. Thank goodness they had those, especially in the early years!
Among other things, I believe a key reason most of us have such fond memories of Christmas overseas was the simplicity of it all. We stayed very busy at our jobs but really it came down to work, family and friends. The distractions from those entities were minimal and we weren't exposed to the face paced, hectic life so many have today. I hope each of you and your families have a wonderful Christmas season and perhaps take pause to reflect on George's comments; it truly is who we were.

Visits: