IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Passing of Robert Armstrong SOO3 - October 2011

Robert Armstrong and I met at NavFac Pacific Beach and served there together from 1959-1961. He hailed from Alabaster, AL and was quickly tagged with the nickname "Reb" by all his friends. After his discharge, he returned to his hometown of Alabaster, AL where he met and married his wife Linda. They had one daughter, Wendy. Robert worked for nearly 45 years in the coal mines, near his hometown.

The name Robert Armstrong may not ring a bell with many who visit this website, but today I received a Christmas card and letter from his wife, Linda, informing me that Robert had passed away this past October. I am deeply saddened at learning of the death of this former shipmate and dear friend. I am sure this will be the same for those of you who may have known him. I later spoke with his wife on the phone to offer our concolences and prayers for her and her family.

Robert had one of those "ear-to-ear" grins you can never erase from your memory (kind of like the picture of Alfred E. Neuman, on the cover of MAD magazine) -- along with a southern drawl that just conjured up visions of the typical "Johnny Reb" during the Civil War period. The nickname "Reb" was a perfect fit for him !!!

The next (and last) time I saw Robert was in 1999 when my wife and I visited him and his wife in Alabaster, Alabama - on the last leg of our extensive 3 month, 15000 mile roadtrip across the U.S.

Oddly enough, we both had married ladies named Linda and our oldest daughters were both named Wendy!! We had a very pleasant 2-day visit with the Armstrongs.
Although our reacquaintence was brief, we stayed in touch throughout the subsequent years - hoping that we might meet again at one of the Pacific Beach reunions. Unfortunately, Robert's last few years of poor health prevented him from attending the 2010 reunion.

While his service in the Oceanographic System will be known by few, those who knew "Reb" Armstrong will fondly recall him as a fun-loving, good-natured "boy" from the south - who soon matured to a professional Seaman in the U.S. Navy, as well as a true "southern gentleman.

To my "Rebel" friend - rest in peace.

Irv (Dee) DeMatties

Re: Passing of Robert Armstrong SOO3 - October 2011

I'm pretty sure Bob was my first watch supervisor. I met him when checking in at Patrick AFB in early 63 on the way to my first system tour at Navfac Antigua. I was an SOOSN fresh out from behind the green doors and he was a semi-salty SOO3 with a couple of Navfacs behind him. He was a hoot, just as described in Irv's post. There were a total of 10 SO's on Antigua when Bob, another classmate of mine and I checked in. They were in 3 sections with one Chief as the dayworker. We went into 4 three man sections the next day. They were very happy to see us. RIP Bob.

O.B. Corning

O.B.

Nice to hear that some of the "old timers" out there do, in fact, recall Bob from years' past. When Bob and I parted in Feb 1961 (my transfer from P.B. to SNI) I do recall that he later did get orders to Antigua.

About 4-5 of us at SNI, who were previously stationed at Pac Beach, drove all the way up there in a 1957 Packard Carribean that belonged to one of the ET's ("back in the day") - for a grand celebration of the anniversary date of Pac Beach commissioning. I'm not sure, but I think that was in late 1961 and Bob may have still been there.

Irv

I am saddened by this news. I served with "Reb" at Pacific Beach back in 1961-62. I can still recall the venus unique tucked above his ear and that broad smile. He was short, so it took a "reach" for him to push that freq scale up to the top of the beam. Coal mining for 45 years is a tough go. I come from a coal mining family, so I know how hard that life is. Dee - please extend my sincere sympathy to his Bob's family.

I never met or served with Robert. My heart and prayers go out to his wife and family. The loss of a loved on is tramatic but especially during the holidays.
God bless and strengthen them during time.
Marshall

Visits: