Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Flat Hats

Precious memories.
I have one photo of my dad in uniform (WWII) and no photo or any thing else of my Step Father (WWII).
I am glad that I kept my BJM it served well not only in my first years.
Marshall

Marshall

Oh yeah, thanks for stirring up another thought. I, too, have a wonderful picture of my dad in uniform from WWII, wearing the same jumper and neckerchief that hangs in my closet.

My plan is to donate his uniform, and mine, to the museum in Whitehall, NY (originally named Skeenesboro)
- which is the "birthplace of the Navy" - and where I had my formal retirement July of 1981 with the CO of NRD Boston officiating - complete with Navy Recruiter sideboys and piping ceremony.

Nice memories, indeed.

Irv

BJM was first written in 1902 by Lieutenant(later Rear Admiral) Ridley McLean,
The manual serves two types of sailors and they are/were 1). the recruit and 2) the long serving sailor who is advancinghis career where he must use his vast military knowledge
My copy is the 16th edition Frog

While in Argentia in the 66-68 time frame, I had my dad's dress blues "re-piped" and the gunner's mate crow replaced with a sonarman's crow. Dad served in the Pacific during WWII. I proudly wore those dress blues until my CPO initiation.

I still have my flathat. Cindy (daughter) has my BJM. I do have a 1946 edition of the BJM that I picked up in a garage sale somewhere.

Unfortunately, I am one of those individuals that never tosses very much away.

Visits: