Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for info

Shannon,

I remember your Dad well. I worked for him in DC. As I recall the "R" stood for Rucker? I ate lunch with your Dad in his office many times. He often had grapes with his lunch but would share them. Jim was a great guy and many folks here won't realize the positive influence and impact he had on our system. I traveled with him often on business and your Dad was always calm and thoughtful in our meetings full of hotheads. If you're about 30 years old, I met you at your house when you were about five!

Chuck Gagnon

I am! I am 28! Wow! I hope you understand if I don't remember our meeting :) He ALWAYS ate grapes! I would love to hear more if you have the time!Please feel free to email me at snmayberry@aol.com!

my mom wanted me to tell you she remembers your visit to the house and tell you hello :)

Hi Shannon,
I too worked with your Dad both while in the Navy and as a contractor. He always could be counted on to bring sanity to otherwise randomly wild engineering discussions. It was sad to hear of his passing those years ago, he had a very positive influence on the success of the IUSS.

thank you! i would love to hear any memories in particular and any and everything you remeber if you have the time! Please feel free to email me snmayberry@aol.com

i would also love to hear more about his time in the navy, that is something I know very little about! :) thank you so much again!

Shannon: I first met your Dad in 1969; he was working for Capt. Joe Kelly in the long gone Main Navy Bldg on Constitution Ave in DC and I was on my way to an assignment in Japan. I worked with him off and on from that time until he left us all too soon. Your Dad was a gentleman, a true professional and fine engineer. He treated everyone with respect and fairness. His was always the voice of reason in any given situation. I was a contractor for TRW working with your Dad while he was dealing with his illness during his last days. I remember days he would come to work; which clearly was a struggle for him, but he handled it with dignity and usual positive attitude and pleasant demeanor. He was certainly missed after his passing. Sincerely, Ed Dalrymple, CDR, USN (Ret)

Thank you! He was an amazing man in my eyes and it makes me feel so good to know other people viewed him and remember him the same way! I appreciate you taking time to let me know a little bit more about him!

Hi Shannon, "Uncle Ed here". Great to hear from you. I started staying at your house in Buckeystown, MD when you first came home from the hospital. I lived at your house (and Annapolis) during the 1984-1990 timeframe when I was commuting from Virginia Beach.

Here is a short story about Jim and I taken from "Our Book". (I will send you a copy of "Our Book" so you will understand the important contributions your Dad and many others have made for our country through Undersea Surveillance.)

"Circa 1988 – COSL Site Rep hits PD80 in the head with a hammer".
The time was 0330, Jim Boyett (PD 80 - present day PMS 485 title) and Ed Smock are busy trying to finish removing a bath room wall in Jim's house in preparation for the shower installers due at 0800.

A 2"x4" wall supporting member was in the road and
needed to be removed."Ed told Jim - you hold the ladder, I'll climb up and hit the board"… Ed made his best swing of the hammer - it slipped from his hand and hit Jim square in the forehead… Down went Jim (board still in place) blood flowing down his face… - 0430, off to emergency ward in Annapolis...

Night nurse asked "what happened to you"??? Jim replied "he" hit me with a hammer. She said abruptly "you mean he accosted you"? (As she looked toward the security officer) - No Jim replied as he told the true story… Next day a bandaged Jim reported to work…

The word got out… "Ed sure does fight for his program - did you hear what he did to Jim Boyett" ???… Jim was my friend, may he rest in peace. (Ed Smock)

Uncle Ed!!!!!! I remember you very well! Mom is still laughing about the hammer incident! She says she still can remember running up the stairs after hearing the 2 of you yell! She says you 2 are still in touch and I do recall her telling me about talking with you not too long ago. I have been reading her the responses to my post and she remembers all "the guys" with fondness :) This site is just amazing,isnt it? I would love to hear more from you and keep in touch with you as well! Mom has moved to NC now but I am still in VA! Please, please,please email me sometime...snmayberry@aol.com (I am married now but used Boyett on here because of Dad) Hope to hear from you soon! Love, Shannon

Shannon, I didn't know your dad but in reading these posts he must have been a very good and decent man. The evidence is in the wonderful daughter he raised. Your messages are full of adoration and love and I'm sorry you lost your dad so early.

Thank you :) He was an amazing man! I love him very much and miss him more then words could explain. It was very sweet of you to comment on this post, thank you for taking the time to do so! Shannon

I, too, would like to express my thanks and appreciation for all the kind words and fond memories here. I am Shannon's brother Craig, and frankly it brings tears to my eyes to know that our father is remembered so well.

I was actually born in the barracks of your Eleuthera facility back in the early '60's, and I just returned from vacationing on Eleuthera over the holidays. The remains of the facility are still visible, albeit quite overgrown. It's a long-shot, but there's a chance the actual table I was born on is still in the building (or it was a few years ago, at any rate). My mother (Shirley) says it looks like the one she remembers, so I suppose it's possible. I always fly in to Governor's Harbour, which I'm told uses the original runway built by the U.S. to service your facility, and I've also been to Receiver Beach, which still has ruins of the old docks. It's sad to see the buildings falling apart and overgrown, but it was fascinating wandering through the ruins and reminiscing about Dad.

Thank you for remembering someone so important in our lives.

The IUSS was in no small way responsible for the success of the U.S. military in confronting the USSR during the Cold War. Your father was, in a great way, a key contributor to the success of the IUSS. He treated his responsibility with the same level of patriotism as all the Officers and Enlisted of the IUSS. He was one of us, and a valuable friend and asset to the USA. He is missed by all who knew him.

Richard Matthews OTCM USN(RET)

A lot of memories of Jim eating lunch in his office with Chuck Gagnon, as I too sat in once or twice while I was stationed there in D.C. and also got to make a couple of trips he went on. I helped prepare a lot of the briefings he gave to the Big Shots up on the hill or at the Pentagon. He was truly a cool character in front of people who absolutely terrified me. I feel like I learned a learned a lot from him in how to handle people and Shannon and Craig,you can be proud of what he accomplished in life, He touched the lives of a lot of people in our system and I want to back them all up with a "You can say that again". You dont have to take my word for it. I am sure that there are more out there who may not have read this board in a while who will sound off. He truly made a memory for me. It must have been wonderful being his family. Best wishes to you and your families.

Thank you! I cant say thank you enough! I love hearing about Dad and all the things he did! And it was beyond wonderful to be his daughter, and i am sure my brother feels the same way about being his son! :) I cant wait to hear more!

Shannon,

I had the privilege of working with your father when he was PME124-20. I enjoyed every minute of his professionalism and friendship. I was always impressed with the Buckytown house and efforts Jim was putting into it.

During my time with your father we lost CDR Will James, the senior Navy person in PME124-20. Your dad was so good bringing us through a very tough time. His humor and attitude towards the bureaucracy was especially welcomed.

We lost a great professional with your father's passing. I remember him with great fondness and smile when I think back to those times.

All the best

Scott

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I am so glad the memories bring a smile to you, because they sure bring one to me! It means so much to me that after all these years people still remember my Dad with such fondness and in such detail! Thank you Scott!

Visits: