IUSSCAA Posting Guidelines

IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Passing of CWO3 DeWayne Taylor-Brown, USN (Ret)

I was shocked and deeply saddened today to learn from his son, Kip, that my former shipmate, fellow-contractor, and long-time friend, DeWayne Taylor-Brown had passed away earlier this week in Port Charlotte, FL. His death resulted from complications of a lung ailment.
Following shipboard duty as a Sonarman, DeWayne served in SOSUS/IUSS from 1962 to 1983, rising from SOG2 to CWO3, predominantly at Atlantic sites but including two tours at COMOCEANSYSPAC. Following his retirement from active duty he continued to support the System as a contractor for more than 20 years. I will miss him.

Re: Passing of CWO3 DeWayne Taylor-Brown, USN (Ret)

I cannot express my sorrow... another long time friend and shipmate gone. He was a consummate professional who contributed so much to the system, and to many of us here. My thoughts and prayers are with him and those loved ones he left behind. A very sad piece of news...

Although our paths never crossed I know his name and outstanding reputation. I did serve with Nora so to his son Kip and the rest of DeWayne's family I send my condolences at the loss of this very fine man. He will be missed by all who know his name.

In Deepest Sympathy,

Denny

My thoughts and prayers are with DeWayne's family at this troubled time. I first met DeWayne in 1968 when he came to COSP on Treasue Island, CA. "Time goes by so quickly". - Ed Smock

Extremely sad news. WO Taylor-Brown was the QAO at Brawdy during my first tour from 80-81. A true professional who shaped many, many careers. Sympathies (sp) to his family.

I was shocked just now to have recieved an E-Mail on the passing of DeWayne. I never served with him but we crossed paths a couple of times. My heart and prayers go out to his family. He was one of the bes.
Marshall

I'm very saddened by this news. I knew DeWayne only briefly as he arrived for duty at COSP in 1976, but he certainly made his mark on our community.

I was DeWayne's sponsor at Arg in 1971 or so and remember receipting for his forwarded classified materials. Believe me when I say that he had a photo library that far exceeded all we had on the floor. AMAZING. A super OT has passed on.

Our thoughts and prayers are with DeWayne's family. He was one of the infamous OT’s.

Chuck & Linda Cable

As all who knew DeWayne, even briefly - as was in my case, he truly was kind of a "legend in his own time" and will be remembered as one who contributed immensely to the success of SOSUS and IUSS. Although DeWayne and I served over 20 consecutive years in the System, we crossed paths ever so briefly. But when the name DeWayne Taylor-Brown popped up in a conversation - you can be sure that "contact was made" by all those within earshot!!

My heartfelt sympathy for his family, wherever they may be. May he rest in peace.

Irv (Dee) DeMatties

This is a complete shock to me. DeWayne and I have been trading emails for quite a few years, and after talking to Kip today, although DeWayne had an ongoing lung problem, there had been no indications of anything serious.
I served with DeWayne at Barbados, and enjoyed every moment of knowing him both professionally and as a personal friend. His expertise in the our field was
unquestionable.
I will truely miss him and will always be thankful for having known him.
I hope he will keep a seat open for me in the Rum Shack in heaven.
Fair Winds and folowing sea's to you my friend!
My sincerest condolences to his Family

Very sorry to hear of DeWayne's passing. I first met him when we were stationed together at Argentia in 64/65. Then, he sponsored Elaine and me when we went to Barbados shortly after getting married in 66. He was a good friend and a fine OT. I last saw him during some TAD in DC around 79 or 80. My condolences to his family.

O.B. Corning

Thoughts and prayers to DeWayne's family. I learned a lot from him at my first navfac, Barbados.

My heartfelt condolences go out to Dwayne's family and friends. I served with him once in the early eighties, but remember both Dwayne and Nora from a cookout or two at their house. He will surely be missed by all.

I remember Dwayne from COSP, Treasure Island. My condolences to his family.

This is very sad and I am sorry for the loss of DeWayne. I remember being an OT2 in Argentia when he arrived, a young and polished master chief. I recall JAD, the XO, referring to him as the "teenage Master Chief" Our most sincere condolences go out to his family, may they have the strength to endure these difficult times.

To all, hello and thanks for all of your kind words and sentiments. While I don't recognize all of your names there are many that I do and some of you I have met throughout the years. I wan't you all to know that Dad held you in the highest regard with much respect as do I. Thank you, Kip

Kip,
In a side discussion via email I received the following from CAPT John Parrish, a very highly respected former IUSS Officer. I know that he would want you and the rest of our members to share his memories of your Dad:

"DeWayne Taylor-Brown was one of a kind. He was my first Chief Petty Officer (actually a Master Chief at the time). I was commissioned an Ensign in May 1968 and sent to COSP without having the opportunity to go to Key West for training. My detailer said that since my degree was in Biology, I really didn't need the training since I was going to do "oceanographic research" and probably already knew everything they would teach me in Key West. That's when everyone outside the System believed the cover story. Anyway, DeWayne took me under his wing and taught me how to read lofargrams, and how the system worked. What he taught me, carried me though the rest of my career in the System. We eventually ended up on the ORI team together, and I can tell you that his expertise was well respected at every NavFac we visited. We continued our friendship over the next 25 years and I had the opportunity to serve with him again and consider him a friend, even after we both retired from the USN and supported the System as Contractors. I don't think I ever met anyone who wore their uniform more proudly (and perfectly) than DeWayne. He was the epitome of "sharp and squared away". He took great pride in his work, and was "very polished". You could drop him into any situation and he always "shined". I always considered him "one of the best of the best" that the System ever produced. He will be missed."
... John Parrish ...

Walt & I are saddened to hear about the loss of yet another one of our own. We offer our sincere condolences to CWO3 DeWayne Taylor-Brown's Family & Friends.

Truly sad news. My prayers are with Nora and the family.

So very sorry to hear of his passing. "Mr. TB" as I knew him was professional right down to the soles of his feet, and he epitomized what a CWO was to me. I held him in very high regard, and I send my heartfelt condolences to Nora and the family.

Visits: