IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Passing of CWO3 DeWayne Taylor-Brown, USN (Ret)

I remember Dwayne from COSP, Treasure Island. My condolences to his family.

This is very sad and I am sorry for the loss of DeWayne. I remember being an OT2 in Argentia when he arrived, a young and polished master chief. I recall JAD, the XO, referring to him as the "teenage Master Chief" Our most sincere condolences go out to his family, may they have the strength to endure these difficult times.

To all, hello and thanks for all of your kind words and sentiments. While I don't recognize all of your names there are many that I do and some of you I have met throughout the years. I wan't you all to know that Dad held you in the highest regard with much respect as do I. Thank you, Kip

Kip,
In a side discussion via email I received the following from CAPT John Parrish, a very highly respected former IUSS Officer. I know that he would want you and the rest of our members to share his memories of your Dad:

"DeWayne Taylor-Brown was one of a kind. He was my first Chief Petty Officer (actually a Master Chief at the time). I was commissioned an Ensign in May 1968 and sent to COSP without having the opportunity to go to Key West for training. My detailer said that since my degree was in Biology, I really didn't need the training since I was going to do "oceanographic research" and probably already knew everything they would teach me in Key West. That's when everyone outside the System believed the cover story. Anyway, DeWayne took me under his wing and taught me how to read lofargrams, and how the system worked. What he taught me, carried me though the rest of my career in the System. We eventually ended up on the ORI team together, and I can tell you that his expertise was well respected at every NavFac we visited. We continued our friendship over the next 25 years and I had the opportunity to serve with him again and consider him a friend, even after we both retired from the USN and supported the System as Contractors. I don't think I ever met anyone who wore their uniform more proudly (and perfectly) than DeWayne. He was the epitome of "sharp and squared away". He took great pride in his work, and was "very polished". You could drop him into any situation and he always "shined". I always considered him "one of the best of the best" that the System ever produced. He will be missed."
... John Parrish ...

Walt & I are saddened to hear about the loss of yet another one of our own. We offer our sincere condolences to CWO3 DeWayne Taylor-Brown's Family & Friends.

Truly sad news. My prayers are with Nora and the family.

So very sorry to hear of his passing. "Mr. TB" as I knew him was professional right down to the soles of his feet, and he epitomized what a CWO was to me. I held him in very high regard, and I send my heartfelt condolences to Nora and the family.

Visits: