Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Google Doodle "Hertz"

As a novice instructor in OT "A" school in Key West I was an understudy to Phil and sat in on much of his podium time before I instructed my first lesson. During one early lesson in front of class 7509 Phil was being questioned while attempting to describe shaft vibration to the trainees.

Questions abounded while Phil searched in vain for a word that would satisfy the questions. Finally, Phil said just think of it as "WOBULATION". A silent pause of a few seconds occured before Phil and the entire class erupted in laughter.

Thanks Phil, for many fond memories and for teaching me the basics of being a great instructor!

Denny

Chet Czizio (not sure of the spelling - be correct me if you remember him) (Bermuda 1969-1970)always described a black line that showed frequent increases and decreases in its vertical alignment, as having "simusoidal wobulations."

George, Phil was still teaching even after his "A" school tour, he taught me a lot about underwater sound transmission and much more about IUSS during my tour at Kef in 79 - 81.

Phil Blauvelt was one of my A-School instructors too. I remember that first week in Key West thinking "What have I gotten myself into?". But once I got the grasp of frequencies, harmonic structure and shades of grey from Phil it all came quite easy. And it wasn't just operations in the learning curve back then. I learned more about military bearing, being a shipmate and the life of an OT in general. What a career that turned out to be. Thanks, Phil!

Visits: