Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SOSUS words of great meaning to us

How about Troposcatter, Precipatron, Stylus Pressure Gauges, water catchments, quartz delay lines, MILS gear, Switchbank Multiple, Gertrude, BTR(Bearing Time Recorder), VIM, walking down the main fore and aft passageway when the fin stabalizers were active, nooners on top of the van, after steering drills, fantail fireflies, ISOPAR, and my all time favorite...winch pall(as in someone forgot to set it after a change in scope).

Here's an older one "birdie sweet/birdie sour.
Ed, as for the 65XX5 most enlisted really got a kick out of that one.

How about, CODAR TRACE and BFRM 214:1 or also known as Bi Facial Recorder Multiplier!!
CEC

Here are two stand-out SOSUSisms from my time at NAVFAC Bermuda:

1. Hermpt.
2. Concur JRV.

smart ass!

Add to that:

1. Smartass
2. NEW COMBO
3. Multi-Fladkins

"The SKAW"

I may have missed them... but did anyone list Staging, Split-plant, turbo-generator, or ESMC?

MILS, Pentagon Array, JEZ monster, thermite packs, Red/Black criteria, H2, Rangeliner, Fred Jones circular classification wheel, Smokies belt pipe holder! Sorry for any repeats

I don't think I saw FIRs, fin rate, XNAS, XNASN(et al), BEAR A/C, burn run, patch cords, and the most used term at 1968 Adak - GAZER!

US subs cruise - Soviet subs sneak! (Quote from a 1966 COSL newsletter)

gazer....... D a m n e d Wanebo and Dupuis

Hal -
I must really be getting old. I remember Wanebo and Dupuis, but do not remember where I was stationed with them - must have been BDA or Adak. What has me stumped though is the term "gazer" ?? Seems as though Jim Donovan connected with it though. I know that Jim was with me in BDA as OT3 at the time, and I was OPS LCPO.
So, clue me in - what did I miss?

Irv

Dee,
I recall "GAZER" being rampant at ARG 68-70 time frame.
I know it was freely used on watch, at the clubs, and certainly at the North East Arms Camp, just to name a few. It was a relatively simple jesture where on would lower their hand with the thumb and index finger forming a circle and place it just below their waste band and when the person they were talking to followed the jester they were called a "GAZER". I am sure there were many variations of this but this is the one I remember.
Hope this helps
Chuck

Dee, Either place, they were both in both places between 68-71. I was in BDA 68-70, Dupuis was my roommate in BDA 69-70,Wanebo was in BDA then Adak. Wanebo left BDA, I think, either late 69 or early 70. Didnt help you a bit did I?

Thanks Hal

Hal -

You actually did help jog this old sailor's memory(I turned 73 yesterday !!).

I was pretty sure that Dupuis and Wanebo were both in Bermuda, but could not recall if it was my first or second tour. Had to be the first - because I was there from 66-69, then transferred to Adak (also my second tour there) from 70-71. So, at that time in BDA I was Watch Section Coordinator, ODIV Training PO and MILS PO. I was OPS LCPO and Command SCPO on my second tour from 74-77.

It's strange that I do not recall you from my first tour in Bermuda, since you had to be there the same time I was. Were you in one of the watch sections, and who was your watch coordinator? I arrived Dec 66- left for Adak Dec 1969.
Also, I do not remember Wanebo being in Adak when I was there.

Thanks for your reply to my post. How do you like living in San Antonio? We spent a few days there back in 1999 while on a cross-country road trip that lasted 3 months and took us 15K miles. Visited a lot of former shipmates on that trip - it was fabulous. Thinking of doing it again - maybe 2013.

Best to you............Irv (Dee)

Re: Thanks Hal

I kept a low profile.Pat O'Brien was my sup, Spike Tysinski the 2nd in charge. Ens Chip Pease was my OWO.I was lucky. Had a two year tour there (June 68-June 70)unlike most single guys who only stayed a year so even the detailers overlooked me. Dont know how I survived there, and how I never got in any trouble. I guess I had a lot of people hiding me too (I was the only one that knew how 4331 operated so they tried to keep me there).
It is too hot in San Antonio. We didnt have a winter this year.
sorta gotten off subject here so I'll add in an acronym.. How about DEMP? No, shoot, Jim had that in his very first entry. I tried.

Jerry, you and Hal are Nuts! lol - I had forgotten most of these terms.

And was FOGHORN or BCP listed?

How about phenomenon of Lofar and mirror cord failures? Was the L&N (Leeds & Northrup) recorder the 24 hour drum or was that the recorder with the purple ink?

Russ are you talking about the CORMSO equipment?

Hal,

I don't remember hearing the term Cormso during my time. I think the L&N was the round drum with white paper.

I still remember CORMSO and God Forbide you forget to change the paper on time. Seems like only a few sites had CORMSO.

Darel -

I remember CORMSO well, and I believe someone else had previously mention it - not 100% sure, though.

I am curious if anyone knows if "serrated effect" was ever mentioned?? I tried to recall what source from one of the Rusky subs exhibited that phenonenon, but at 73 (OMG !!) my memory is not serving me all that well. Maybe someone out there knows??

Also, what about AFTAC??

Dee:
You had better sharpen up on this stuff. Your oral board is scheduled for 1300 this afternoon!!! I'm really enjoying this string.
George

Not sure but may have referred to the Type I Nuc T-E turbine?

Hey Ed -

You know, that is what I was thinking, and I think you are correct. I didn't want to put that out there without some sort of confirmational reply - thought I might get embarrassed by someone who knows the "real answer".

George - NO PROBLEM !! I am not sure why I never got my EXPERT button (I do have the certificate) when I qualified as EXPERT and was OWO in Adak (70-71). Capt. McWethy was COSP Commodore at the time - and sat in on my oral board during an ORI. Nice to hear from you. I, too, am enjoying this string of posts, must remember to thank Jim Donovan for initiating it.

Take care ............Best to all............Dee

I seem to recall that serrated effect was used in conjunction with blade rate, mostly predominant on B1 after a knee-in steadies up. (I'm having flashbacks to my early NAVFAC years....... )

I kind of remember the CORMSO. Wasn't it used for pinpointing seismic disturbances?

I concur with Jerry's comment on serrated effect being associated with blade rate.
George----I regretfully never sat for a board other than the one at NFCB to qualify for ROC OWO/CDO

Concur with Jerry. Serrated effect was on blade rate signatures; predominantly on certain classes. But we shall not go there. Probably would be too much information.

Happy to hear you say that, Jim. Exactly why I didn't get too deep in the weeds with my response. Not sure where the classified/unclassified line is these days.

MILS=Missle Impact Location System, CORMSO= Correlating/Recording & Monitoring SOFAR???
I'm not sure of the last portion SOFAR. Barbers Point, (The Showcase of the Pacific) with a putting green lawn was where I first saw and had to perform quick looks and long looks on CORMSO as well as a paper change in some sort of superhuman time period. COSP ORI's would test and time these events during the inspection cycle.
Chuck

I think it was COntinuous Recording and Monitoring of SOfar. I recall Guam's CORMSO being rather important for support of a given event. Weeks of forwarded data.

Re: CORMSO and thoughts from Barbers Point

Rick,
After reading your post, you are right COtinuous is correct. These two are for DLW "Home made bearing wheel", and "Sister Ships". DLW hope you are reading these posts.
CEC

Additional Acronyms and SOSUS words/phrases

Great string, all! What memories! I have a few additional things to add.

1 - How many grams could a Master Chief stuff into a Maxwell House 2lb Keywind Coffee Tin Can?

2 - What do TOPSY and Firring YANKEE have in common?

3 - SNAP Class/FOXTROT Relay/CDO Quiz/CPX.

4 - What is a HOFN?

5 - Ditto for WIDRIO?

6 - ELINT/FOSIF/OSIS; OKEAN exercises.

7 - What are Pinetree/Bathtub patterns?

8 - FDS........

Re: Additional Acronyms and SOSUS words/phrases

When In Doubt Report It Out - WIDRIO

Fell like a kid at a Spelling Bee.

WIDRIO was responsible for getting my T/L under control but drove my false alarm rate into the stratosphere.

I probably missed most of these....

1. Benji (Antigua bartender)

2. Section oolies

3. EOZD

4. cadillac and swab

5. 400 cycle generator

6. phase drill

7. burn pit

8. boonie pigs

9. swing back

10. Daquiris at the Kensington

11. steel band

12. duty et

13. sab alert drill

14. gram cut log

15. pomsee p.o.

At JFCOM we were have this conversation with a Navy Capt. in my office, well, just talking about acronyms. The Capt is an SSN captain, so we were talking about this and I innocently brought up FTN! He gave me a "look" then I said "Fast Tracking Nuke!" This always controlled individual, just busted out! I loved doing that ;) Actually he was very surprised with my knowledge of "submarine anatomy?" It's all Good!

Hey all (newbe compared the the other folks here)...

Was in Adak (86-87), and the term we used was coined (or used) was "wabbleation"! Worked great at the time...

S

SADR..

Trivia question: How long could you play Star Trek before SPEAR would go down?

;p

Midway---Fishballs

Adak---Instant Merchant

From Brawdy in the early 80's:

BIMAT
PGD's
CND

not just 80's but mid 70's as well

Visits: