Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CHG/REPLACE: Additional Acronyms and SOSUS words/phrases

Is it a sign of age that reading all those terms made my head hurt?? :) The Spear/Widrio era was hideous and almost got me sent (thrown) out of the T-Bldg in CVB...along with conducting oral boards, which we named "technical reviews".....
Jim, not sure how many grams were in those coffee cans but it was always scary that he let the poor souls pick their own poison :)

Please forgive me for repeats....I read the whole list but can't remember what I read by the time I get to the end.

PROMAN...Fish from Kef USO...Ma Kef...Tree Housing...Duty Analyst...Station Pec's...Project 611...photo ref...pub library...KILO report...step down transformers...pay chits...special services...12 on and carry on...reader rot...Seafarer dungarees...Z-grams...RATFAC...and last but not least...ILS (Incidental Line Structuring) taught to me by George one day when I asked him to eye integrate something and he couldn't quite see it.

My personal favorite was used for a question on oral boards...BEADWINDOW.....What is the only correct response to this?

Roger, Roger.....What's your vector, Victor?

Silence!

I wa always told the only acceptble response was..Roger, out. And wait for the message to tell you what you did wrong!

I think you're right! Takes me back to SURTASS days. We only used it once during all the missions I made.

I thought all the previously-given answers were correct...seemed like common sense, just acknowledge and hang up!

At my Watch Coordinator oral board in Brawdy a certain OTAC informed me that the correct response was "Gingerbread".

Not sure how true that was, but it sounded good at the time!

Brett,
Not sure if this is the definitive answer but here is a link that describes the BEADWINDOW procedures:

http://informationtechniciantraining.tpub.com/14226/css/14226_45.htm

Thanks,
Bob Ainsworth

Jim,

I've enjoyed this trip down memory lane and have to admit as a short term (68-71) non-career type a lot of the terms are unfamiliar. But one term (Pinetree and Bathtub patterns) really stands out. Back in the day JOs were encouraged to write and submit a technical paper to COSL. Being a typical nerdy engineer (electrical) I jumped at the chance and submitted a paper describing (with lots of equations and plots) how those patterns were simply an artifact of passing broadband noise through a time-delay beamformer (the technical term is comb filtering). At the time I was upset that the "Principles of LF Analysis" text attributed the patterns to multipath effects - which have only one CPA. I guess the folks at WECO/Bell didn't bless my paper; it never saw the light of day to the best of my knowledge.

Bob Hickman

Visits: