Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Brawdy

According to the plank owner card I have, Brawdy was commissioned 5 April 1974. First OTs actually got to the UK in August 73 and some of us ended up TAD to NAVACTSUK London during the early days. Lots of per diem on that one because we were required to wear civilian clothes. Hope this helps. Frog

Brawdy was my first duty station. Very fond memories, I have some photos I can share. As far as civilian clothes, I was the Test Director for SURTASS. I had to wear civilian clothes, as the Tagos class at that time were painted white, as MSC ships. No allowance for that BTW. I also had to pay out of pocket for several things. As an OT1, I had to pay for everything out of pocket. When we came into Bermuda after 60 days at sea, I had the option of bunking whith a second class and was told I had to be quiet and I was a guest in her room! I,out of my own pocket, got a room at a hotel and rented a Moped to get around. You were spoiled!!!!!

Ok, Frog I believe ,but what was that thing in May I remember?

Lee -- The only thing I can think of is that possibly around that time frame most of the Bell Lab/Western Electric tech reps turned everything over to us with only a few resident reps remaining?? One thing I thought about though, when you showed up, were we still required to wash the soles of our shoes before entering the watch floor?

Another great statement I heard in the early days was the reps stated they made the equipment "sailor proof" and we couldn't screw things up. Ha

Visits: