Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SEA DUTY

RV Moana Wave for SURTASS engineering development, about 6 weeks. 13 years as a SOC TECH starting in 1987. Vindicator, Triumph, Assurance, Persistent, Prevail, Assertive, Bold, Effective and Loyal. Days underway: 1735. But there are folks out there who started when I did who are still sailing!

Hi Jane, I remember you.... One of the reasons i got out of the Navy, as at COMOPTEVFOR, I went to sea for almost 300 days. I loved it even though I was the Test Director for SURTASS. Later when I got involved with the An/SQQ-89 program, I went to sea for several stints. Yes lot's of moaning and groaning from sailors as I took an Ensigns state room :0 Even though the Admiral at COTF designated me as his test director..I was an INSURV inspector when I was serving at NAVSEACOMBATSYSENGSTA. I brought my sleeping bag, and slept on the floor behind the cabinets in sonar control. I learned so much at sea such as using a sextant, driving a ship(just ask Capt Ray Marquart USNS Stalwart:)etc. I did what I dreamed about but I think traitor named Walker really ruined the rate.

Sounds ike a great cruise George but unfortunately I wont be able to go as the better-half is still working. Introduce her to cruising last year and I feel like I unleashed a beast. She loves it. We were on another just two weeks ago.
I was on a LST my first hitch and joined it in that far east garden spot of Subic Bay. After glamorous ports of call like Hong Kong, Pusan and some ammo dumps along the Vietnam coast we made our way to Japan and then started on a Long Slow Trek via Hawaii to San Diego on a Large Slow Target. The past couple of years have been a lot nicer as the shipswere not painted haze gray.
Good luck on your trip and who know, we might cross paths sosme day/ FROG

George, I wish we could go with you. Our daughter Kelly (23) will be married on Saturday the 6th of October. I would hate to miss that! (<:

Kathy and I are looking at European River cruises and other voyages over the next few years.

Looking at previous posts in this string regarding OTs and sea duty I have to admit after all these years of feverously trying, Nick finally has me beat on something. More sea time! I served for 34 years and 4 months and only went to sea twice - 3 days in SSBN Kamehameha (1985) and 6 days in USS HARRY S TRUMAN (2002). Both familiarization trips. That has to be a record of some sort!

All, I can't go, "" I got the Watch "" And loving it still... (58 years) Ed Smock

Do you remmeber being a lead PO in Iceland?

The cruise sounds like a real hoot, especially with a bunch of OT's along for some sea time. Lois and I will not make it this year, we are taking the "wagon train" and moving home to Iowa at the end of May, that will most likely be our vacation for this year. My sea duty was almost 2 years on SSN 607 which included 120 days in the Med, home port to home port. Please take lots of pictures of the cruise and post the good ones on the Site.

Re: SEA DUTY/SHANGHAI

I have 7 years seaduty(?) on the USS Bushnell (AS-15, Key West and the USS Isle Royal Destroyer Tender, Long Beach, Ca.
I and some of my shop personnel were shanghai(ed) to the USS Baninbridge flag ship for COMCRUDESFLOT 3. I believe that it was International War Games. 80% of the Baninbridges com equipment was down. Called us for help and five of us went to fix their problems. Ship rocks some. Whats going on? Don't worry, just singling up lines so we can get under way when you finish. I go topside after a while for fresh air and a smoke. No land in sight. What the H***. Sorry the Commodor was in a hurry and radio silence so no messages can be sent. One week later they informed our ship where we were and when we would be home. I had papers to prove where we were so the wife would not leave me.
Marshall

Re: SEA DUTY/SHANGHAI

Marshall,
That was a great story.
Chuck

George,

Marvelous idea and wish we weren't already booked up in October.

Maybe a cruise liner would allow me to clear the breakwater before turning green, I certainly couldn't do it on a DE or research vessel.

I managed to accumulate a lot of hours in a P-3 during my career, but thought I was going to retire without a single minute of shipboard sea time. Then during my last tour in the Navy at NAVFAC Centerville Beach I had the opportunity to volunteer to be a shiprider/observer on a FFG for a two week ASW exercise taking place in the waters between San Diego and Hawaii. I enjoyed everything about it, except for having to find a new rack to sack out in every night. Never had a moment of sea sickness. The ship's CO felt that having a FFG under his command meant he should be going fast, and that included when we were streaming a towed array. LOL The hardest part of that cruise was learning to walk again on dry land after leaving the ship in Pearl Harbor. Felt like I was walking on stilts until I got my landlubber legs back! Wish I could join you,
George. An OT reunion at sea! What a novel idea!

The cruise sounds like a blast. I lost track of how many days/months I spent on The old Tigodorga flying 5 day plan guard dets. in 71 and 72. Also, spent 7 weeks on HMCS Provider for RIPPAC 1971. What a world of difference between the 2 Navy's. The rest of my career was in P-3s and NAVFACs.

Sounds like a hoot George. We'd have to be sure to bring the pinochle cards. Will get up with you off-line to refine plans.

I appreciate the thought and consideration that many have put into this idea. It appears that we may have a few old friends coming along to share the cruise, and that will be great.

Peggy and I will be celebrating our 50th a few weeks after returning, which is the primary reason we booked this particular cruise.

Thanks again,
George

George,

I'd love to join you but our Octobers are reserved for Oktoberfest in Helen, GA and deer hunting in North Carolina. I wish you and Peggy a wonderful and most enjoyable time on your cruise. Also calm seas and favorable winds.

During the last two weeks of STG Class "A" school at FSS Key West in 1967 we went out to sea aboard USN destroyers to practice our skills in "sea-phase". The first week was on USS BEALE (DD-471) and USS STRONG (DD-758). The second week was on USS VOGELGESANG (DD-862) and USS HAROLD J. ELLISON (DD-864).

After tours at four NAVFACs and qualifying as an OWO Earl Butts sent me orders to TASS. Spent two years (73/74) and one WESTPAC on USS ALBERT DAVID (DE-1050) with Jerry Satterfield. During that tour I also spent one month on USNS S. P. Lee (AG-192) equipped with TASS during RIMPAC 1973. After an instructor tour I spent 1979-1982 aboard USS MCCLOY (FF-1038). Enjoyed ROH, REFTRA in GTMO, one MED cruise, one COMPTUEX, one Solid Shield and numerous sorties to the Bermuda ASW Sector aka YEMPA during that tour.

In 1976 we took a seven-day cruise on Norwegian Caribbean Lines' "SOUTHWARD" out of Fort Lauderdale to Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. In 1982 we took a seven-day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Royal Caribbean's "VOLENDAM" to St. John's, St. Marten, Martinique, and Barbados. In 1993, 2004, and 2010 we took seven-day cruises on Celebrity's "MERIDIAN", "HORIZON" and "SUMMIT" out of Norfolk and Bayonne to Bermuda.

During my days as a defense contractor supporting surface ship ASW systems and SURTASS I rode various ships for lengths from one week to one month at a time. These ships were USS MILLER(FF-1091), USS ESTOCIN (FFG-15), USS SAN JACINTO (CG-56), USS NORMANDY(CG-60), USS COMPTE DE GRASSE (DD-964), USS PETERSON (DD-969), USS AMERICA (CVA-60), USNS VINDICATOR(T-AGOS-3), USNS PREVAIL(T-AGOS-8), USNS BOLD (T-AGOS-12), USNS VICTORIOUS (T-AGOS-19), USNS ABLE (T-AGOS-20),and USNS LOYAL (T-AGOS-22).

Needless to say, Nick, I sported the Navy Sea Duty Service ribbon with stars on my ribbon bar.

Best wishes to all,

Denny

Very impressive resume, Denny. Apparently there was scant little time left for you to hone your pinochle skills. Maybe you just weren't very good at picking partners.

Nick

Good one Nick !!

What's a sea service ribbon? I remember when the Navy had to reissue the National Defense Medal due the fact that there were too many Navy personnel with under 4 years that had no awards to wear.
Personally I did two years aboard the USS Norris DDE-859,1960-62,two years aboard the USS Biddle DDG-5,1962-64,prior to COSL, Barbados,Midway,and then finished up my career aboard USS Hammerberg DE-1015,(ITASS) 1970-71.

George, if you set up another Florida based cruise,
let me know in advance.

Visits: