Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Veterans Identification Card

I think you're dealing with a company that is not on the up and up. I went to the website and it looks like someone is just trying to make some money. All the material I read is readily available on the VA or military websites. Everything you need should be sourced from a Veterans Service Officer.

I don't see the id they offer as a valid form of identification. I doubt it would be accepted in a bank, store, or other area. I would suggest you contact them one more time or file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if you don't get any satisfaction.

There are a lot of people out there trying to take advantage of the military, both active and retired. I believe this is one of those groups.

Mike: not sure what this type card would buy you if you have a drivers license. It could not be used at any govt agency as you would a military ID for these agencies. I do not believe I have ever seen a Veterans ID card.

Re: Veterans Identification Card H.R. 2985

Mike,
I found this information when searching for "Veterans ID Cards". Apparently this Bill was introduced in 2011, but I am not sure it could have been passed and on the street that fast as to have it being sold on line. I would check the status of this bill. Also check what the Bill estimates that the cost would be when available.
Chuck

CONGRESSMAN TODD AKIN
THE VETERAN’S ID CARD ACT – H.R. 2985
Currently only veterans who served at least 20 years or have a service connected disability are able to get an ID card signifying their service from the Veterans Administration. The only option available for all other veterans is to carry a paper form called a DD-214 that contains various forms of personal data protected by the Privacy Act of 1974, including their social security number. All veterans should be provided the opportunity to obtain an identification card proving their prior military service.
The purpose of the Veteran’s ID Card Act is to:
 Provide proof of military service for those who currently have no simple means to do so;
 Minimize the potential of identity theft through the potential loss or theft of a form DD-214;
 Provide employers looking to hire veterans a standard way to verify an employee’s military service; and
 Provide military veterans the ability to take part in the goods, services or promotional opportunities that are offered to those who are able to provide proof of military service.
In order to ensure that this legislation has minimal impact on the Veterans Administration and can be done in a budget neutral way, this legislation:
 Requires a veteran who seeks to obtain this ID card to pay for the initial and any subsequent replacement cards;
 Requires the VA to determine the cost of such a card and apply a fee to the card appropriately to cover all costs;
 Uses the equipment already in place at VA facilities across the country to issue the card and collect payment;
 Requires the Secretary of the VA to review and assess costs every 5 years and change the fee structure appropriately to cover all ID costs under this bill.
Veterans need another form of identification other than the antiquated form DD-214 issued by the military upon discharge. By providing veterans this option they will have at their disposal a more rugged and safer form of identification to prove their military service. This bill will be no-cost to the US government.
For more information or to cosponsor this bill, please contact Jason Knapp or Justin Johnson in Congressman Akin’s office.
Veteran’s ID Card Act - Frequently Asked Questions
 Which veterans currently can get an ID card proving their military service?
o Veterans who are entitled to either retirement benefits or medical care (or both) from the VA currently receive a photo ID card from the VA.
 How much will one of these cards cost a veteran?
o The actual cost will be set by the Secretary of the VA, however it should be minimal. According to the Congressional Research Service, in fiscal year 2010 the VA produced 848,958 identification cards for veterans at an average cost (including mailing) of $1.64 per card.
 Will this card guarantee any benefits to the veteran?
o No. This card will only be used to confirm that an individual did serve in the armed forces.Mik

I have to agree with Scott. I seemed like a money-making scheme when I first show it.

When I got my Veterans ID card, I went to the VA Hospital with a valid driver's license and my DD-214. The card was issued right there on the spot.

Later, when I was given a Service Connected Disability Rating, I went back and had another card issued with Service Connected shown on it.

Some places like Lowes and Home Depot offer disabled vets discount. This is the card to use for that.

Like Pam, I simply went to the local VA Hospital (Bay Pines in St. Petersburg FL) signed up, and was issued a ID card on the spot. I am not a career sailor....did my four active, and 4 inactive.

Howard

As indicated in my posting last fall, this all started after Veterans Day after hearing of some eating places and stores offering free meals or discounts to veterans on Veterans Day. This card seemed to be a lot easier and safer to carry around than a DD214 form. I tried to get a veterans card from the VA hospital here in town after being directed there by the local Navy recruiting office and also the gate guard at NAS Cecil Field near Jacksonville. I went to the VA hospital and told the lady there that I only wanted a veterans id card and was not trying to get health benefits. Nothing wrong with me except for being crazy. ;-) After asking me many personal questions about health, income, home ownership, etc. she stated I did not qualify for a card because our income was to high and therefore didn't qualify for health benefits. About a week later I got an official letter from the VA stating the same. Seems like someone missed what I was trying to get.

At this point I suspect I will just go back to being a "non veteran" as it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle to get a card so I don't need to carry a DD214. However, thanks for all your responses and input. Since I was having problems getting the card from the website indicated I wondered if anyone else was and also posting a caution that it could be a scam to get personal information and/or money. Strange thing is they haven't yet cashed the check I sent in January either. ???

Several of the Counties up here in New York have a "Return the Favor...Thank You For Your Service" program. They provide various discounts at different businesses in the County. You go to the local VA office complete a form and then to the County Clerk's office for a ID Card that has your picture on it and states what branch of service you were in and how it was verified (DD214 in my case). It serves as proof you were in the Service. It doesn't matter how long you were in to get this card, just proof of service. TOM

when I got out of the navy I got a dd217n card that shows I was in the service

U.S. Veteran Compensation Program in Houston, Texas ID Card Scam

It's a scam in Houston texas.
Need to file a complaint with the Texas Attorney general's office, they have over 400 complaints for this companyand they will investigate your local complaint.

Also file a Complaint with the FBI internet crimes unit as the are actively looking for this scam artist at Asprye Printing. The main company is in the Woodlands in Houston, Texas

i belive it is a fonie... i applied for card 11/23/11, sent money (thank god its only 12$!) and haven't received it. SCAM

Visits: