Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Memorial Day

Mark, VP 26 has a memorial page on a P-3 that went down in South China Sea in Feb 68. All crews members are listed.

VPNAVY.COM/VP26MEM.HTML

Not sure if this is what u are looking for.

Re: Memorial Day

Lydia -

Just wanted you to know that I thought you gave a wonderful account of your memories and thoughts on this most solemn of American holidays. I also felt I might "chime in" with an accounting of our family's latest experience at this years' parade, ceremony and celebration of our fallen comrades:

Our day began at 5am Monday 5/28/2012 by readying our 1950 Regal Blue DeSoto and our 1966 Antique Gold Mustang for a combined Glens/Queensbury NY Memorial Day Parade. All family members dressed appropriately for the occasion.

Our family's parade entry this year was "extra special" because we led ourlocal car club (Coopers Cave Car Club) with a Navy "BLUE & GOLD" theme, with our BLUE and GOLD cars. Of course, it would not have been "Navy" without the troops, each in Service Dress Blue uniform.
In the lead, we had a 2nd Class PN(female) and 1st Class HM (male) as flagbearers, displaying the U.S. and NAVY Flags. Next was the BLUE DeSoto driven by my son-in-law with our daughter, Shelly as a front seat passenger.
I was next in line in my MCPO Service Dress Blues (first time worn in nearly 31 years !!).
Next came the GOLD Mustang driven by my wife, Linda, of 50 years. She was accompanied by two of our grand-daughters (Emily and Erin) and a grand niece, Cassandra.
Finally, two Chief Hospital Corpsmen brought up the rear, also in thier Service Dress Blues. The four active duty Navy personnel were all from the local Personnel Support Center located in Saratoga Springs, NY - which provides support for active duty Navy personnel at the Navy Nuclear Training Center, located nearby.
Our appearance was greeted by rounds of applause from those along the entire parade route, salutes were rendered to the U.S. flag by many veterans, and salutes were exchanged between veterans in the crowd and Navy personnel in our formation.

Following the parade, there was a wonderful ceremony held at the War and Peace Monument in Crandall Park, Glens Falls. Main events began with our National Anthem, performed by the high school band and sung by one of the female students (spectacular performance !!)
Next was a reading of the Gettysburg Address by a student, followed by readings of two Memorial Day essays by high school senior students, one of Glens Falls, the other of Queensbury.
The keynote speaker was a former active duty USAF Lt. Colonel and local businessman, Jim Hunt. His theme concentrated on the various military cemetaries and monuments he had visited during his years of service and his reflections on those occasions. A few of these were the Vietnam Memorial, Hickam Field and the Arizona Memorial in Hawaii, Gettysburg and a U.S. Cemetary in France. A feeling of awe and respect seemed to "fill the air" over the crowd as he accounted for the thousands lost in these wars and conflicts.
Three local servicemen, all killed in action in the War on Terrorism, were honored . Their names were added to a plaque on the War and Peace Monument and their Gold Star parents, grandparents were in attendance, each receiving profound thanks from hundreds of those in attendance - following the ceremony.
Just prior to the closing of the ceremony, the crowd was treated to a rousing rendition of patriotic songs, sung by two young male students and played by the high school band. Songs included Battle Hymn of the Republic, America the Beautiful and several others. (Spectacular performances !!)
The ceremony concluded with placing of wreaths by the various Service Organizations/Auxilliaries, the City of Glens Falls and the Town of Queensbury - and, lastly, retiring of the colors.

To round out our day of rememberance, our family and many of our neighbors and friends gathered at our home here in Queensbury for an afternoon/evening of fellowship, BBQ with all the "fixns", drinks and desserts !! A wonderful cake ("We Salute our Fallen Comrades" - Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force) was provided by grandaughter, Emily. Prior to partaking of food, a special Lord's blessing was invoked by our daughter, Jodi, to honor those who had "given their all"and for those currently serving our country. Music was provided by her husband, Eric. Their daughter, Hope, honored "Pop-Pop" Irv with a rendition of our National Anthem on her flute. All the grandkids/great-grandkids got to run and play through the sprinklers, do acrobatics, play on the swings, etc. They had a ball !!

The weather was perfect the entire day, memories and stories of many family/friends military service men and women were exchanged, including my dad, Joe. He served in the Navy from 1928-1931 in the North Atlantic Scouting Fleet and again from 1944-1945 in the Pacific Theater. He joined the Navy at age 18 with his brother, Ernie, age 16 in 1928. Ernie served 20+ years and was personally honored by President Franklin Roosevelt during WWII - of which I have a picture of the two of them shaking hands aboard his ship !!
This day was very special in so many ways and will remain fresh in our memories (and those of our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren for years to come.

I am in hopes that every one who may read this posting will also have some special fond memories of this Memorial Day, shared by family and friends.

To all those who have served their county in military service, and especially those who "gave their ultimate sacrifice" - I salute you !

Visits: