Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DD-214 vs Social Security

Hi Randy,
I have done considerable research on the issue of Social Security Offset. I have a very good friend who works in the local office and as of today, your retired pay does not offset your SS benefits. As the saying goes though, "Subject to change without notification or representation". You will get your full retirement pay and your full early SS allotment at the early retirement rate.

Thanks, and best wishes,
Bob Ainsworth

Thanks for all the quick responses, guys..appreciate it. I opened an on line account with the SSA so I could keep track of my entitlements and it would take me until age 81 before I started losing money by taking early SS. So that's the plan...SS at 62 and probably work part time.
We earned it but I am so grateful for having my retirement pay! Like many small business owners, we took an absolute bloodbath when the housing market blew up in 06/07. I'll never recoup financially but we are in position to live pretty well in spite of it. I know many people my age who were business owners and they are struggling just to survive; its quite sad. The moral of the story is count your blessings.

Randy don't forget if you draw it at 62 and continue to work be aware of the off set on the amount you can earn until you reach full retirement age 66. I took early no regrets and have been on TFL for 2 years now. So far out of pocket expences has been medicare part B. What medicare does not pay TFL picks up. Express scrips send all my generic drugs for free. I have no regrets. Roberta starts to draw SS next month. With 2 retired military we love the first of the month and the second wednesday (her SS) and the third wednesday (my SS) Getting old ain't that bad

One thing that I did not see mentioned was Federal Tax. If you and your spouse collect social security, and one of you also have a State or Government Civilian retirement you will pay Federal Tax on a portion of your Social Security to Uncle Sam. Don't get me started but I have had an additional $150.00 (above what is held back claiming single) a month taken out of my CS retirement and my Military retirement, so I do not owe at the end of the year. I always thought I would not need a Tax person when I retired, guess I was wrong. Watch out for Part time work as well, it could put you over the maximum you are allowed to make when you retire early. After 66 or what ever your full retirement age is the rules change.
Chuck

Bob, Chuck...thanks again. I know if I work part time there is a limit to how much I can earn....want to say it was $14K at 62. I never want to wish any of my life away but if I could do it now rather than wait till Feb I would do it! :) We live in a loghome on 6 acres in the Blue Ridge Mountains and I have to tear myself away every morning. Its all wooded except the front yard where my septic field is, and I mow that on my lawn tractor with a vodka and tonic in the drink holder. Like Bob said, getting older ain't all bad :)

Pretty evident I'll be working until I die at my workstation!

I plan on waiting as long as I can to start my SS payments. The longer I wait, the more my wife will have when I kick the bucket since she's younger than I am. At this point, healthcare is the deciding factor and if things look as bad as was predicted about Obamacare and the SCOTUS doesn't intervine, we'll all be an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis!

I am happy that I am receiving ss checks at age of 63 now. I called the office today and the representative informed me that my service time was calculated at the time that I applied and figured in to my monthly entitlement. Didn't hurt to verify it.
My wife is even going to get money off of mine even though she has not earned enough time (less than 10yrs) working. She gets 35% of my ss check and it is not supposed to have any effect on my money. That will be equal to a car payment (among other things) each month!!

Visits: