Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Larry Holberton

So very sad to learn this. Larry was a good person. Please pass my condolences to his family.

Thank you Susan!

I didn't know Larry as a Chief (wish I did), I knew Larry as an OTSN at Point Sur circa 1973-1975. Ed Dalrymple was the Captain, Mike Dwyer was OPS, Jack Holdzkom was the ORO and Larry was a Reader in Section 4. Dennis Turnipseed was the OWO. The Comms folks were George Spinks and myself. Larry was the only guy in Ocean Div that wasn't "Core System" as he came from USS Kitty Hawk as an unrated seaman going to OT-A School. Larry added an amount of "Navy Seasoning" to the group reminding us of the Navy outside the system. He was real, out spoken an unashamed of himself in any situation.

Larry drove a 1968 Pontiac GTO coupe at the time' it was black. We would share rides to town (home) after work. When it was cold the GTO was hard to start and Larry was quoted to say "come on, all eight of usses, I put all of usses in there myself". He always had a great attitude about life and his surroundings. I'm really glad he made the Navy a career and I'm sure the Navy and our nation was the better for his efforts.

I spoke with him a few times when he worked at West Marine. Just never thought we would loose him so soon.

Tail winds,

Stu Schrock

Actually Lt Bob Stanley was OPSO, and Bob Turnipseed was the OWO, Rick Kaiser was Research Officer, MCPO Jack Holdzkom was Ops. Dept. Chief. Steve Ross was CommO. Gerry Smelik, then Al Prescott was XO. Charlie Asher relieved me as CO.

Good morning Captain,

Thanks for straighting out my cloudy memory. Re-reading my post I had recognized my error with Bob Turnipseed's first name but could not edit it. Heck, to me everybody in kakhi was either "Captain, Mister or Chief" so I'm glad I only muffed one.

Now I recall R. S. Stanley and his distinctive signature. I even adapted a portion of his script in later life. Who was Mike Dwyer that I remember, I recall he was P-3 air crew, other than his assignment at Pt. Sur?

For the rest, it's how I recalled it, 37 years ago ... Not correct, but a really great memory none the less.

I'm in Secaucus, NJ today and leaving tonight. Next time we're in the area and have a day off I would love to drive down to Milton and buy you a cup of coffee.

V/R

Stu Schrock

Stu, do not recall a Mike Dwyer.

Thanks, Captain. Maybe I'm just to foggy. I can see him in my memories eye in a Navy leather flight jacket. Oh well, thanks just the same.

Stu Schrock

Re: Larry Holberton/Pt Sur

Since we’re making corrections, let me add my two cents: Stu was partially correct - it’s a matter of time. I was ORO from Sep 1971 to mid-1974, first under OpsO LT H. Tom Byron (remember his horses?) and then LT Robert Ray Stanley. Concurrently I filled Ops LCPO and, later, SCPOC billets. Rick Kaiser relieved me as ORO upon reporting from SNI in mid-1974. LTjg Bob Turnipseed became OpsO at about that time.

All that aside, I remember Larry Holberton from Pt Sur and NOPFDN as a good guy and am saddened by his passing. Jack

What Jack said!

I knew Larry from Pacific Beach and Grand Turk. He was a hell of a guy and a great technician. I am so saddened to hear of his passing. We used to go four wheeling in the Black hills of Washington State, along with Jack Rose and a couple of others.

A belated "Fair Winds and Following Seas" Larry

Visits: