IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Akula Operates in GoMex

Article written by Bill Gertz, who reports on defense issues, reveals that an Akula SSN operated in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks in June and July 2012!
Read the article at link:

http://freebeacon.com/silent-running/

Re: Akula Operates in GoMex

I wonder who PA is going to hit for the missed ctc? Wouldn't want to be in their shoes when the daily hits the street.... :) There are "some" things I don't feel too awfully bad about not experiencing these days.

Looks to me like PA missed it also. Who is minding the store now that we've all been put out to pasture.

Not a PA call. Blame goes back to Pentagon in the 80' & 90's that dismantled the System due to a "diminishing" threat.

Ed Dalrymple
Not a PA call. Blame goes back to Pentagon in the 80' & 90's that dismantled the System due to a "diminishing" threat.

I'll second that. Its going to be tough to "rollback" what happened in the 80s and 90s in today's financial climate.

Rick

Regardless of what the man behind the curtain told us, the Cold War never ended folks...

GOM is a prize area for energy. Russians have an interest in that they have been assisting Cuba with oil and gas exploration in their waters. USA better wake up and start watching our back yard closely.

Bring back Arg's Shallow Water complex!!!!
CEC

When going through "O" school back in early 1965 I seem to recall being told Key West had an array in the Gulf, or maybe it was just a single hydrophone. Just a rumor?

Think it was just a single hydrophone for school use; but some the Master and Senior Chiefs probably know better than I. Problem with putting a passive system in the Gulf is the high ambient noise levels what with all the shipping and myriad of oil rigs and oil/gas exporation. Just saying. EKD

Ed.....let's bring NavFac Lewes back......they'd have never gotten by us. I'll take the daywatch.....not good with mids anymore.

Nick

Sounds good to me I will take the mid as I am up half the night.

I can take over about 5 AM, seems like that's a good time to make a fresh pot of coffee for me.

I am only going to commit to this watch bill rotation if they can run a "snake" from BDA to the GOM and guarantee me another 3-year tour (accompanied) in Bermuda.

P.S. Our cruise/visit to BDA in May 2012 was nothing short of spectacular !! Got to visit with two of our Bermudian couples - last seen 35 years ago. Got to go on former NOB (rough shape) - and see some of our former homes & haunts.

Best to all you IUSS folks out there.........Irv

It wasn't on my watch!!! Who had the mid!

Visits: