Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Best Burger Joints

This had been a pretty good read. I'm surprised no one has mentioned our beginning...ie: the Snack Bar next to the FSS school in Key West. They made the greatest grilled steak sandwiches.

Let us not forget the Key West Taco Factory that made those huge "Mamoo's". What a buy!!! The wife and I still make those regularly, and the kids ask for them when they come home.

Last but not least...how about the San Nic Snack Bar that made those "egg and cheese burgers" What a treat when working those 12hr back-to-back Mids on the weekends...my mouth still waters for them.

I will take you back - to the best burger... The USO right outside the main gate at FSS Key West in early 1954. Very large bun with beef burger to match, thick slice of Bermuda onion, tomato, lettuce and mayo... 25 cents... Ed Smock

Smokey, You always have to top us! Best stories with longest memories. I remember 10 cent beers(Milwawkee's Best) in Key West on Friday nights at the EM Club. But I don't think they had 25 cent burgers outside the front gate in 1973. Probably closer to $.50. (<: Ahhh... To do it all over again... - Jim

The goat or mutton burgers in Spietstown Barbados wont make the list but the flying fish sandwiches will when we get to seafood burgers.

I do remember the USO burgers....Brought back many fond memories of Key West in the 50s. But that's another subject.

Good try, Ed. They didn't have cows back then.

Might have been an Ox burger ??? Not sure... - Ed Smock

Sounds good Master Chief. I was only 3 years old at the time but it was probably pretty good, lol.

One of my favs was the beer-battered ýsa at the EM club in Iceland...yum!

Beer Battered Ysa - Kef USO

Jane commented on the Keflavik USO fish specials (Ysa) so I thought I would repost the recipe.

Ysa is the Icelandic word for haddock and we saw scores of it drying on wooden racks, especially on the road out to Grindavik.

The wonderful fish frys at the USO served cod. But many American's referred to it as ysa. Not sure what the Icelandic word for cod is.

Here's the recipe:

BATTER - FRIED FRESH COD

1 1/2 lbs. boneless Icelandic cod fillets, 1 inch thick
1 c. cold water (or beer)
2 tbsp. peanut oil
1 egg yolk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 c. plus 2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
Oil for frying

Cut fillets into 10-12 pieces of equal size. Combine water, oil, and egg yolk in mixing bowl. Add salt, pepper, and flour. Beat with a wire whisk until blended and smooth. When ready to cook, add baking powder and blend well. Heat oil for frying in deep fryer or frying pan. Dip pieces of cod in the batter, one at a time, and drop into oil. Do not crowd. Cook about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, cooking time will vary with size. Transfer to paper toweling to drain. Serve with tomato horseradish sauce.

Re: Beer Battered Ysa - Kef USO

Capt Jim,

Thanks for reposting the recipe as it sure was good.

I’m not sure which species of fish Haddock or Cod was served at the USO. However, to upgrade your knowledge of Icelandic, Cod is þoskur pronounced Thoskur.

While I did know what the Icelandic word was. I had to consult with my technical expert for the spelling.

How about a Wimpy!s burger in the UK; boiled water just as you like it. But the double cheeseburger Banjo at Brawdy was OK.

I have to agree with Ed, the wimpys in the UK were so bad that the Brawdy Bowl burgers were fantastic in comparison. However, since living in New Mexico I can hardly tolerate a cheeseburger without diced green chile. I would have to vote for San Antonio, NM as the home of the best green chile cheeseburger, Owl Cafe or the place across the highway. They are both outstanding.

Jerry

Thanks for the info I cooked at the USO While stationed at Keflavik in 82-83. Quite an experience.

I have been looking for this recipe since oh...about 1987. We spent many a day in the US while stationed at Keflavik and YSA is probably the best fish we have ever eaten. Thanks for the recipe!!!

The fish served at the USO each Friday was Ysa, which is haddock.

The burgers at the Viking weren't all that bad either. At least the bowlers thought so. Perhaps that is why they drank so much beer to get the burger swallowed down!

greasy spoon Charlie's in Bermuda. Best place for grease on a plate. and not a bad burger.

Actually, the two best burger joints in the world were the BOQ bar at Charleston Naval Station and the BOQ bar at Long Beach Naval Station. Long gone.

The two places where sitting for an hour would let you run into half the people you ever knew in the Navy were Mickey Finns in SD and the Chuck Wagon on the Naval Station at Subic. Ditto long gone.

The best Submarine Sanctuary was (I hope still is) at Yokosuka, Subic a close second.

The two best places in the world to screw up a marriage were the back bar at Oceana, Tailwinds at North Island, and the O Club at Miramar. Yeah, I know that's three but back in the day I tended to lose count.

I don't know if I'd vote it the "best" burger I've ever had but the club at CVB used to have a pretty darn good bacon cheese burger with grilled onions on it.

And when I was in Guam from '85-'87 the best burger on the island IMHO was at the Andersen AFB Palm Tree Golf Course Club House. It was worth the drive.

I can remember the Best Burger I ever ate was in "Doc Zeek's back yard on base in Argentia, NFLD. I recall Dave Williams was there as well as others as we all took a turn at watching and turning amazing moose burgers on a grill outside wearing foul weather jackets. What were we thinking!!!!!
Chuck

I've heard people say that moose is really good. I imagine it is similar to deer meat.

Visits: