Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: odd places

Hi Ob... is this the same guy I remember being the raquetball ace at SNI around 77-79? A moot question - whether you're the same guy or not, greetings and best wishes.

The reason I asked about St Lawrence is in part because I was up there in 1970, alont with two other OT's, an ET and a Ltjg. I'm curious if any of them recall any thing from that time. And also, long afterward, I heard sea stories that a follow on det went there the next summer.

And no - to my recollection we found nothing of a submarine nature. But it was my first time simultaneously seeing the acoustic signature, HEARING the acoustic sounds, and visually sighting the contact MAKING those same sounds. It made me a true believer!

Lorren...I am the "original" Ob, the other guy that you knew is a reproduction.
I was at SNI 73-74 after I left Kef. I wish I could go back!
I remembered the St. Lawrence incident, but I don't remember if we got a debrief after the fact. We had a similar incident on Guam where someone swore they saw a sub in a harbor. Nothing became of it, but I did end up with some recordings with fish sounds on it.

Hi Paul - where were we stationed together? OT maint school in Key West? And one of the FAC's someplace maybe? Can't recall.....long time ago. I hope you and yours are well. Yes, I was there Aug-Sep (I think) of 1970. Along with Dave Hogan (who supposedly was booted out on drug charges later), a Ltjg Hickey, another OT and an ET from West CONUS facilities. An interesting adventure.

Hello Jack. Yes, its been a long time. I don't remember where we were stationed together either. Good to see you are still around! UQM-4 and interfleet xfer should also bring back some memories for you. Happy holidays to you and yours.

Loren-

At 73, my memory is not what it used to be, but I am thinking you and I were both at Adak - maybe in the 70-71 timeframe.

I do recall COSP asking for volunteers to go out on the ice in the Bearing Sea to plant some hydrophones. I volunteered but, for whatever reason, did not get picked to go. A PO2 from one of the watch sections (cannot recall his name - but he wore a beard) was selected.

Not sure where they went or exactly what they did, but does this relate in any way to your inquiry? And, were you one of the ones that went? Seems to me that you also had a beard?

If any of the above is correct (to the best of my memory), would be interested in hearing from you.

Irv (Dee)

Dee....I just sent you an e mail reply..

Jack

The only time I've ever heard St. Lawrence Island mentioned was in 1984, on a mid-watch in Adak, Alaska. It was our team's Chief (you) regaling a few of us OTSNs about past SOSUS exploits. I remember you drawing the line at actually letting us see the scars that the Polar Bear left!!

You probably don't remember me, but I certainly remember you. Thanks for your service, your leadership and your sea stories. I hope you are well.

Paul Lester

Paul,

thank you for the courteous, HUMOROUS reply. One of the sad things about getting older is the memory loss. Alas, I can't clearly remember you. But one of the GREAT things about aging is - we can still convince ourselves that we DO remember after all! So YES! I sure do remember you. I've been fortunate - wife and family and self are doing well. we aren't rich....but mostly happy, and that's a good thing. I hope this finds you and your family the same.

As we all know, ANY "see story" (that's an OT version of a sea story) told on a NAVFAC midwatch must be taken with a grain of salt and a dash of carbon dust. And I swear - no polar bears were harmed during the filming of that fiction.

ON a serious note, who was with us in the section at that time? The Rueles? Maybe the Hogges? Do you recall Ensign Flaggs, by any chance?

Thanks for your service as well. We were very fortunate to be where we were, when we were!

Visits: