Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Console Dust Industrial Hygiene Monitoring Data

While stationed at Grand Turk 71-72 time period, I seem to remember an air cleaning device in the display room, which required regular cleaning maintenance It seemed to be electrostaic in nature. If my memory serves me correctly it was used in the area of tape recording equip.
This device would snap and pop frequently when cleaning was needed, not sure of particle size it would trap but this tyoe of filtering is used in smoke eaters which you would see in bars. Don't remember seeing any monitoring equip but do remember blowing my nose and blackening the tissues.

I too worked in pre-vacuum system display rooms at NAVFAC's Bermuda and Keflavik (mid 70s). I believe vacuum systems were installed at my follow on NAVFAC/NOPFs through 1996. Time in system about 28 years (1973 - 2001) but not all with exposure to carbon dust - probably about 20 or so years though (1973 - 96).

There was always the rumor that carbon dust would lead to lung cancers and all sorts of other diseases. In the early 1980s I did hear of one individual who contracted a lung disorder and allegedly blamed it on carbon dust. I was never able to confirm the story although I believe he also smoked - in fact, I know he did.

In any case, I ensured this information was documented in my Navy medical record and had my lungs checked during annual physicals throughout my career until retirement in November of 2007. Never a sign of any issue and my lungs are still in excellent condition. Of course I quit smoking in 1981.

I am not aware of any official information concerning these studies. Would be interesting to hear if any of our members successfully petitioned the VA for disability due to exposure to carbon dust during their SOSUS tours.

I will add what I can accurately recall (as best as my memory serves me):

I was at the following NavFacs, during timeframes indicated, at which time there was no vaccuum system installed:

July 1959-Feb 1961 NavFac Pacific Beach
Feb 1961-Jan 1962 NavFac San Nicholas Island
Jan 1962-Nov 1962 NavFac Coos Head, Oregon
Nov1962-Dec 1962 NavFac Adak, Alaska
June 1966-Nov 1966 NavFac Centerville Beach, CA
Dec 1966-Dec 1969 NavFac Bermuda
Dec 1969-May 1971 NavFac Adak

I distinctly recall, during my tours at Pac Beach, SNI and Coos, that we had to get a ladder to reach the overhead cable raceways and top of the flourecent light fixtures and vacuum off the carbon dust. This was usually done about once each month, on mid watches, and there was ALWAYS about 3/16" - 1/4" of CARBON DUST on those areas !!!!

In June of 1974 I reported aboard NavFac Bermuda. I believe that the vacuum system was installed sometime later that year. Also, a "precipitron" air cleaner was installed later on (do not recall for sure - but I think it was in 1976). It was like Rice Krispies (with its "snap, crackle, and pop"). It was located to the right of the tape recorders in the display room. Not sure if this made much of a difference, but the vacuum system sure helped. We always had those black smudges on our faces, hands (of course) and uniforms - but not near as bad as in the early days in the absence of the vacuum systems.

I do not recall any studies performed during any of my NavFac tours (which were many) - but I was absent from the System from Sept 1963-Sept 1965 while at the Naval Reserve Training Center, Denver CO - and again from Aug 1972 - May of 1974 while in ADCOP Program at Tidewater Comm. College, Virginia Beach. There may have been some studies done in the 72-74 timeframe (or earlier) that I was unaware of - but none at the NavFacs I served at.

I, like the others, would be interested in any further findings/outcome concerning this subject.

Best to all who those who served in the System ------Irv (Dee) DeMatties

Man this takes me back a long way but as best I can remember the precipitron air cleaner installation coincided with the the Honeywell tape recorders to aid the vacuum system that positioned the tape in the vacuum column. I believe it was installed in '69 in Barbados with the Honeywell and know for sure we had one in Antigua in '71. Cleaning it was not fun. I can personally attest to that.

Agree with Rick it was not fun to clean. But is was fun to smoke next to the air intake and flick cig ashes in to it and listen to the thing go crazy trying to clean up the big chunks. Nothing like being bord on the Mid at Centerville.

A very interesting subject. I'm afraid i have nothing to contribute in terms of Air Quality Monitoring Data and I promise that the following tale by no means makes light of a serious thread. But................,

The Precipitron Air Filtering System was installed in Argentia in about 1967. I recall that it was installed near the old "Bunny Tube" send/receive access station on the Ops floor. The location was at a point where if one was coming from the Operations Officer's Office to Comm, you would make a 90 Deg turn to the left at the Precip system. Conversely, if one was coming from Comm to the Ops Officer's office, one would make a 90 Deg turn to the right at the Precip System. A lot of detail, huh.

Well, at some point in 1967, a Young Lieutenant by the name of McMahon relieved then LT Ben Hacker as Ops Officer. The Precip Filtering Sys was installed about the time of or shortly after their turnover.

LT McMahon was maybe 5' 4" and shortly after taking over as Ops, He was in the Comm shack when he evidently had something urgent occur that required him to hustle to or towards his office. He left Comm in a dead run and when he attempted to make the right turn towards his office, he found himself to be the perfect height to run into the "very Sharp" corner of the newly installed filtering system. He wasn't hurt as badly as he could have been but that corner of the Precip Sys sported a "bandage of sorts" that would soften the blow of any future and unfortunate interactions.

I realize this adds nothing to what was originally an interesting and serious thread on Carbon Dust. But...., the thread made me recall the story and I thought I would share.

John Ellis

I have been at NAVFACs before the vacuum system and after the vacuum systems were fitted. I worked maintenance and was not on the operation floor for long hours. I am not certain as to the health issues, but the carbon dust was a potential for short-circuits and creating crossing to the different grounds (signal to power grounds).

The Precipitron Air Filtering System was installed to keep the air clean to the Honeywell tape recorders. We saved many man-hours of labor by connecting the Precipitron Air Filtering System input directly into the air conditioning duct.

Visits: