IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potential NavFacNan Reunion - ATTN: Dick Moran

This message is to Dick Moran and any other shipmates who had NavFacNan service.
Dick,
I have made contact with several former shipmates and Dan Blaney and I are looking for more shipmates with an eye to putting together a NavFacNan Reunion in 2013.
Shipmates found: Dan Blaney 65-66 (STG) lives in Maine, Vince Ford 65-66 (STG), and Bob Marchegiano, 65-66 (ET) lives in New Jersey and myself 65-66 (STG) living in Falmouth, MA.
Are there any other NavFacNan shipmates you know of or any still on Nantucket? I hear that J. Fox may still be on the island.
We are looking for shipmates from any time period.
Please reply with your email or email me at bamdmm@verizon.net
Thanks,
Dan (MURF) Murphy

Re: Potential NavFacNan Reunion - ATTN: Dick Moran

Hi Dan,
I guess I'm a bit of a youngster compared to the names and dates that you listed. I was an OWO at NavFacNan from June 1970 through late August of 1971. The CO at the time was LCDR F.X. Atwater; I'll have to dig out some old documents to recall other names of that period. I came to NavFacNan from NavFacArg (where Phil Blauvelt and Lou Haskins were in my watch section). I live in the Syracuse NY area and would be open to the idea a reunion in 2013. What month did you have in mind? Can reasonably priced lodging be found any more on Nantucket?

Bob Hickman

Great to hear from you Bob.
We are still in the formation stages and haven't gotten very far.
We are trying to find as many NavFacNan shipmates we can before we determine what would be best.
The island in the summer is out of the question, but staying on Cape Cod in spring or early fall with a ferry trip to the island and the old base location may work.
Please send me an email at bamdmm@verizon.net and I will add you to the list
of 5 shipmates so far.
We have another reply, so we are up to 6.
Dan(Murf)Murphy

Dick,
I was on Nantucket 69-71. I was an ET in the Maintenance Div.
Would be interested in a reunion, now live in Zieglerville,Pa.
Larry Leaver

Great to hear from you Larry.
I'm sending you the same ,message as Bob.
We are still in the formation stages and haven't gotten very far.
We are trying to find as many NavFacNan shipmates we can before we determine what would be best.
The island in the summer is out of the question, but staying on Cape Cod in spring or early fall with a ferry trip to the island and the old base location may work.
Please send me an email at bamdmm@verizon.net and I will add you to the list
of 6 shipmates so far including you.

Dan(Murf)Murphy

I would be very interested in a reunion. I was there 58 to 62 and visit annually. I'm sending you an email also.
Dick

How can I help?

Dick,
Good to hear from you.
In October I got an email out of the blue from Dan Blaney who was staioned on NavFacNan when I was there, Dan now lives in Maine. In our ensuing emails we talked about a NavFacNan shipmates reunion.
I decided to post the message you responded to and got some replies from shipmates.
So far including you and I there are 10 shipmates interested in a reunion.
Jim Cooper who I beleive is still on the island says he is gathering emails of 11 others still on the island.
The shipmates were stationed there from 1958 through mid '70's.
It seems this is moving forward and I continue to gather names and emails.
If you could email me (bamdmm@verizon.net)I could send the list I have and if you know of others we can add to the listing and see if we can get this going for 2013.
If we decide to move forward, I will need help on setting up a tour of the old base area and perhaps accommodations. I suspect spring or fall would be the best times and was thinking either stay on the Cape and do a day tour of the base or stay on the island.
Thanks for the reply and offer of help,
Dan (Murf) Murphy
Cell 508 221-7643
Email bamdmm@verizon.net

Visits: