Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The dangers of driving on Centerville Beach Road

1971-1974 at least three people stationed there were killed in speed/alcohol related accidents on that road. Two seabees and a WO if memories serve.

Even the XO wrecked his car while I was there, 72 - 75.

Centerville Beach Road. My first trip down that road was on a dark stormy night, January 9, 1975 having just arrived from Guam. Scary and dangerous just do not describe my thoughts about that road. Not long after arriving at CVB I bought my first new car, a VW Scirroco and then I discovered how fun that road was. Of course the critter factor was huge as there were more then a few opportunities to run into things ranging from cows, horses, sheep, deer, skunks (lots of those), porcupines, fox's, frogs, turtles, dogs, cats, an endless list of hazards offering themselves up at inopportune moments. Some folks may have thought I was a bit crazy but once you understood the road, the conditions and the possible hazards it really was an enjoyable drive. One of the things I really miss about that whole area are the roads and the enjoyment I had driving them without to much traffic (as opposed to San Diego where I have lived since leaving the Navy in 1976). Yes, there were lots of accidents and incidents on that road but it was not all bad either, it just demanded 110% of your attention and then some extra just in case!

I remember either 83 or 84 on the road and saw a young drunk OTA infront of me crash and was really hurt bad. I used my truck seat cover to slow the bleeding until help arrived. I will never forget that night. im not sure but they said he had brain injuries and would never be right again. I dont remember his name but i prayed for him alot..

I remember a meeting (probably a safety stand down) after a fatal accident where we were discussing the hazards of that ****ed road and I asked if the command could petition to make improvements to make it safer. Blind turns, areas with no fog line, no center line, or markings of any kind - made it a dangerous road even in perfect conditions let alone at night, in the rain, or after a mid. A certain OTA1 working in the CMAA office was pushing the point that improving visibility would only encourage speeding. Can you imagine that? I thought we were supposed to be looking out for our shipmates. That kind of thinking really sealed the deal for my decision to get out after 10 years. Dangers aside, I loved driving on that road (albeit slowly) and remember one night in particular going in for a mid and it was pouring - and the road was literally crawling with frogs. It was surreal.

Visits: