IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best ever Commanding Officers

Generally on this site we brag about ourselves......but the O Gangers played a large part in our successes....

My vote for best ever co is CDR Dick Porter

What a great guy.......a sailor's CO.....

Nick

Re: Best ever Commanding Officers

Cdr Jim Brady, Kef 82-84.....

Hard to beat Arno Laux paired with J.A.D. as xo. Arg. 71-73

J. A. Daniel wasn't really my Commanding Officer but He was N2 at COSL and I was his LCPO. He was far and away my favorite Skipper and Officer. He was in fact a brilliant man in disguise.

J.A.D. was one of a kind and the only Officer to tell a certain Senior Chief during a heated discussion in the N-2 shop quote: "Senior Chief Your Time Is Up".
John, do you remember who that was??
Chuck

Chuck,

Yeah, I remember. I guess that's what made JAD special. We had a lot of conversations that ended like that. My real recollection of JAD was that one shouldn't take a problem to him that should have been solved at a lower level. I promise you that he would listen long enough to grasp what solution you were after and then give the opposite answer. It was his way of saying "Don't bring that crap to me".

I also remember him telling myself and Ed Haney that "You boys ain't gonna live long enough to grow up", a comment he made after Ed and I ordered a Bloody Mary on a 6AM flight out of St Johns NFLD.

He was truly one of a kind.

J

Whole heartedly agree! Arg 71-73 Laux and JAD

Capt Laux was an outstanding skipper at Brawdy, too. A very warm, people-oriented CO whose manner made you want to work just that much harder for him. I was just a frocked OT2 at the time, but he made a big impression on me, and he was the CO that reenlisted me.

Served under both Capt Laux and Cdr Mustian. Both were great skippers. Met Capt Laux again at Brawdy during my last tour there and had the honor of briefing him on our developmental training program. I told him I had served under him in 81. Sadly, he passed away not long after his visit.

Nick -

I know this (may touch a nerve) - and is going to be a "tough one" for you, but for me it's pretty much a "toss-up" between CAPTAIN "Scratch" Hryskanich (Bermuda '66-'68) and CDR McClendon III (Bermuda '74-77).

Another at the top of my list would be COMMODORE Cox (COSP '78-'81)

I am "at the ready" to take all hits on this one !!

Dee

I agree wholeheartedly with many of the names already mentioned but would add one more. William "Wild Bill" Patterson who was my first CO at Arg. in 1962. He was amazing on many levels.

Eighteen duty stations in 34 years put me in contact with an awful lot of Commanding Officers. It is always hard to pick the best when you work with so many professionals.

My very first CO was CDR MCLendon at NAVFAC Bermuda. In May 1974 he summoned me (then OT3 Donovan) via 1MC to his office to speak to my mother on his own office telephone. Apparently Mom had contacted Sen Ted Kennedy's office in Massachusetts complaining that she hadn't heard from me since my flight to Bermuda in mid-April. A Congressional Investigation had been launched! How does one explain Bermuda College Week to Mom?

My last boss in IUSS was Commodore Neal Rondorf, Commander Undersea Surveillance. I could not have asked for a more supportive, respected leader during my Command tour at NOPF Dam Neck 1999-2001.

Any list of "most notable" CO's during my 27 years in IUSS would have to include Commodore Dave Mustian (COSL), CDR Joanne Gilchrist (NOPF Dam Neck) and CDR Kevin "Peewee" Mattonen (NAVFAC Keflavik) - all for different reasons but all three because I learned from each the positive traits of an effective leader and respected Commanding Officer.

CDR Joanne Gilchrist was my XO in Bermuda in 87 and she was absolutely wonderful, very much a professional in every sense of the word, and cared for her sailors.

....and Peewee, wow, what a great skipper. Very approachable and loved to joke around. As an example of his sense of humor, NAVFAC Kef ended up with Jet fuel in our water and we had to turn it off to the command, we also had to bring water in gallon containers from the main base just to make coffee. Having no water also meant having no water for the toilets...so PeeWee had port-a-pots brought out to the command. Now imagine using a port-a-pot in Iceland.....

One afternoon (night), he had everyone at the NAVFAC go out, stand in-line with our foul weather jackets on, mounds of snow around us, waiting to use the port-a-pots and took a picture of this and sent to CUS. Amazingly enough, we got funds to fix our water issues shortly after that!

Travis

I just have to say, as a former IUSS guy who spent the last few years out of system before retiring, the CO's I had in SOSUS were hands down the best, and my experiences post IUSS slammed that fact home to me. I was spoiled as an OT and later as an IUSS JO. The IUSS CO I had the most problems with in our system was a water walker compared to the ones I later served under, with few exceptions. I had one command (no names here) where I served under three (3) CO's in a 15 month period, with 2 being relieved for cause. Just crazy. At that same command, I reported aboard, met my Chief, and and was then tasked by the CO with conducting XOI of that very same Chief and his LPO on the same day. There was no XO (had been fired) and I was the next most senior LT. Just incredible. I can tell you there was one unhappy JO who really, really missed being in the IUSS.

there was a coule of C?O's and XO's that will remain in my memory ! Cdr larry Bucher i think was his name with lt Steve Conn as his XO BDA 83-85 CDR Paul Momany with LCDR Simms and awsome CSO COSP 87 Capt Logan!! Great guy!!

By far the best 2 CO's were Susan B. Canfield Antigua 1978-1980 and Robert B. Miller Guam 1983-1985. Without a doubt the best XO was JAD Smith Argentia 1973.

Having been SEA, MCPOC and CMC for most of my years in SOSUS, I had the opportunity to communicate with many Commanding Officers on a daily basis. Without any reservation Capt Arno H. Laux was by far the best as he was the most concerned with the Navy, Command, and personel. Remember, that he was an ex Chief Petty Officer. He was at Argentia when all of the Z-grams came to be part of the daily routine. One honorable mention is a LCDR Rawlinson of the RTF in Ferndale 82-84. Based on her previous qualifications and tours of duty she was probably the most unqualified to be a CO, but definitely had the courage of her convictions and gave it her all in trying her best. And all this without any support/backing from the CO at NFCB. I give her a lot of credit for doing her job. I've had some others that do not deserve to be mentioned in this category. In a year at Grand Turk we went through 6 COs.

I knew you were hard to get along witn Nick, but really, 6 CO's, don't you think that's a bit much ?

Over the years, I served for several commanding officers, and I feel somewhat out of place "judging" them. For sure some mentioned previously were fine CO's from an enlisted point of view. I sure liked serving under CDR Porter in Kef. He had a great leadership style - perhaps the best. From an ORI inspector's perspective, it is hard to beat CDR Ed Dalrymple (Pt Sur mid 70's). He surely ran an outstanding NAVFAC, and the "ship's crew" seemed to really admire him. From a personal viewpoint, my finest CO was also my last. CDR Will James and I both arrived at Centerville in the fall of 79. Will James had such a special way about him. Those who knew him remember the "twinkle" in his eye, and the fondness for cleavor "gadgets" that would adorn his desk. But his passion for SOSUS, and his intellect set him apart from the rest (my personal opinion). As his MCPOC, I shared some difficult and private moments with him. We had a number of very touchy issues to confront. We could sit across the desk from each other, and could communicate without words. Having served under him in the COSP MEC in the early 70's, we seemed to be able to read each other's mind, and he took delight in knowing what was on mine. I loved that about him (and it scared me a little too). I am actually a bit surprised that he hasn't already been mentioned in this string, but it gives me great pleasure to add his name.

I too have had a lot of good CO's and like all of you, a few not so good. However, I would like to mention CDR Brick Mason Bermuda 1971-72 as one of the best. - Ed Smock

Mr. Miller was a good one John! I thought he was personable and a people person. He was a professional and got the most out of his people.

This is quite an elite list. I have three CO's who impressed me during my 24 years.

- CDR Dave Mustian, CO in Kef 81-83. If I had to identify any specific trait it would be his total professionalism. From the readers to the Watch Officers, he engaged everyone with humor and an expectation of excellence.

- Captain Baker Peebles, CO in Argentia 83-85. Just a nice, nice man. I felt like I was talking to Col. Potter from MASH. So easy going and pleasant. I was driving up Site Sam to get a Christmas tree and went off the road, several people ran over and helped push my truck out of the ditch and I looked up and saw Capt Peebles pushing my truck. I was awestruck.

- CDR Kevin Mattonen, CO in Kef 94-96. He was so dedicated to his sailors. His style was effortless and humorous. "If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes" . . .

I remember Cmdr. Arndst. He was commanding the OT school at Key West Fl when I was there in late 75. I think he was a close runner with Cmdr. Tracy at CNFJ special projects (80-83). They both were tops in my book.

In reading this thread, I noticed that Dave Mustian's name came up about three times. He was never my CO, but I remember him from COSL in the very early 1970s. He was a LCdr at the time and the sailors all thought he was a pretty cool guy. He also wore a Navy Good Conduct ribbon so we respected "whence he came."

My vote would have to go to someone whom I have had the pleasure to meet since joining the IUSSAA. I never served under his command as I preceded him in my service years, but based upon my personal meetings and the many positive comments others have posted on this site, I'd say that the name of Captain Jim Donovan ranks at the top of the CO list.

Bill Turner
former OT2
KEF and COSL (68-72)

Has to be Dick Porter. Right there with you Nick. He supported the senior enlisted more than any other commanding officer I worked with. If someone needed to go to mast, he was right there supporting his chiefs and senior enlisted 100%, and was a real people person.

Visits: