Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Best ever Commanding Officers

By far the best 2 CO's were Susan B. Canfield Antigua 1978-1980 and Robert B. Miller Guam 1983-1985. Without a doubt the best XO was JAD Smith Argentia 1973.

Having been SEA, MCPOC and CMC for most of my years in SOSUS, I had the opportunity to communicate with many Commanding Officers on a daily basis. Without any reservation Capt Arno H. Laux was by far the best as he was the most concerned with the Navy, Command, and personel. Remember, that he was an ex Chief Petty Officer. He was at Argentia when all of the Z-grams came to be part of the daily routine. One honorable mention is a LCDR Rawlinson of the RTF in Ferndale 82-84. Based on her previous qualifications and tours of duty she was probably the most unqualified to be a CO, but definitely had the courage of her convictions and gave it her all in trying her best. And all this without any support/backing from the CO at NFCB. I give her a lot of credit for doing her job. I've had some others that do not deserve to be mentioned in this category. In a year at Grand Turk we went through 6 COs.

I knew you were hard to get along witn Nick, but really, 6 CO's, don't you think that's a bit much ?

Over the years, I served for several commanding officers, and I feel somewhat out of place "judging" them. For sure some mentioned previously were fine CO's from an enlisted point of view. I sure liked serving under CDR Porter in Kef. He had a great leadership style - perhaps the best. From an ORI inspector's perspective, it is hard to beat CDR Ed Dalrymple (Pt Sur mid 70's). He surely ran an outstanding NAVFAC, and the "ship's crew" seemed to really admire him. From a personal viewpoint, my finest CO was also my last. CDR Will James and I both arrived at Centerville in the fall of 79. Will James had such a special way about him. Those who knew him remember the "twinkle" in his eye, and the fondness for cleavor "gadgets" that would adorn his desk. But his passion for SOSUS, and his intellect set him apart from the rest (my personal opinion). As his MCPOC, I shared some difficult and private moments with him. We had a number of very touchy issues to confront. We could sit across the desk from each other, and could communicate without words. Having served under him in the COSP MEC in the early 70's, we seemed to be able to read each other's mind, and he took delight in knowing what was on mine. I loved that about him (and it scared me a little too). I am actually a bit surprised that he hasn't already been mentioned in this string, but it gives me great pleasure to add his name.

I too have had a lot of good CO's and like all of you, a few not so good. However, I would like to mention CDR Brick Mason Bermuda 1971-72 as one of the best. - Ed Smock

Mr. Miller was a good one John! I thought he was personable and a people person. He was a professional and got the most out of his people.

This is quite an elite list. I have three CO's who impressed me during my 24 years.

- CDR Dave Mustian, CO in Kef 81-83. If I had to identify any specific trait it would be his total professionalism. From the readers to the Watch Officers, he engaged everyone with humor and an expectation of excellence.

- Captain Baker Peebles, CO in Argentia 83-85. Just a nice, nice man. I felt like I was talking to Col. Potter from MASH. So easy going and pleasant. I was driving up Site Sam to get a Christmas tree and went off the road, several people ran over and helped push my truck out of the ditch and I looked up and saw Capt Peebles pushing my truck. I was awestruck.

- CDR Kevin Mattonen, CO in Kef 94-96. He was so dedicated to his sailors. His style was effortless and humorous. "If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes" . . .

I remember Cmdr. Arndst. He was commanding the OT school at Key West Fl when I was there in late 75. I think he was a close runner with Cmdr. Tracy at CNFJ special projects (80-83). They both were tops in my book.

In reading this thread, I noticed that Dave Mustian's name came up about three times. He was never my CO, but I remember him from COSL in the very early 1970s. He was a LCdr at the time and the sailors all thought he was a pretty cool guy. He also wore a Navy Good Conduct ribbon so we respected "whence he came."

My vote would have to go to someone whom I have had the pleasure to meet since joining the IUSSAA. I never served under his command as I preceded him in my service years, but based upon my personal meetings and the many positive comments others have posted on this site, I'd say that the name of Captain Jim Donovan ranks at the top of the CO list.

Bill Turner
former OT2
KEF and COSL (68-72)

Has to be Dick Porter. Right there with you Nick. He supported the senior enlisted more than any other commanding officer I worked with. If someone needed to go to mast, he was right there supporting his chiefs and senior enlisted 100%, and was a real people person.

Visits: