Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Most famous person you ever got to meeet

While on independent duty at one of our special projects sites, I had occasion to be invited to the ambassador’s residence for the annual Christmas party. My mom and dad were visiting from the states and so they got to attend as well. After we had gone through the serving line and were seated at our table, the Ambassador walked up and asked if she could join us. For the next 45 minutes, she regaled us with stories of her time in Africa and as the head of the Peace Corps. She finished by telling us of the time that she had the Defense and Naval Attaché, the assistant Naval Attaché and several other folks over to the residence for an informal discussion about some recent event. She offered libations and was asked by all the folks except the assistant for MGD’s. The assistant asked if he could have a Coors Light. Without batting an eye, she told us, she informed the officer that he probably would not be able to get one of those in her house. Her name was Loret Miller (as in Miller Brewing Company) Ruppe. What a classy lady.

come on, tell us where

Can't really top it, but I too met her (ADM Grace Hopper) during A School at Key West. She came in and talked to our class. I recall her telling us how the term "debugging" got its start, and she gave each of us a short piece of electrical wire, and I can't remember what it was for. I thought she was super; very down to earth, not full of herself, and the thing that struck me the most was how sharp she was. Just a real impressive person. This would have been in summer 1976.

I had some interesting experiences. Adm Hopper was one, but there were others. Prior to the Navy, I cooked Eggs Benedict for Jack lemmon, crepes for Gloria Swanson, and a burger for Ernest Borgnine at the Anchorage Westward Hotel. In the Navy, I recall briefing the British Sea Lords as an OT1 Watch Coordinator, and I met the CNO once. That was the same visit to Brawdy where his cover mysteriously disappeared, much to the horror of the CO. Loads of fun, that. The same CO I (think) that insisted we perform mouth to muzzle on his dog during a midwatch visit when the little critter keeled over. Might have been the same week RAF SWAT folks were called out to blow up a vacume cleaner someone left out in the parking lot overnight. Since retirement, I've met a boat load of politicos, to include Jesse the Bod MN Gov, and got to open for Lynyrd Skynyrd and meet all those guys, but the biggest characters were the Navy ones!

None other than the one and only Mr. Spock - Leonard Nimoy. Live long and prosper.

Shook hands with Frankie Fontaine, aka Crazy Gugenheim from the old Jackie Gleason show. Also, met Satchel Paige as a kid and have a picture to prove it.

I met the Queen of England and Prince Charles when I was stationed at NAVFAC ANTIGUA in 1976. They came to the island. I also talked to Glenn Cambel at a bar in National City California in 1968. I didn't even know who he was, at the time, until he introduced himself.

Senator Margaret Chase Smith, House Armed Services Committee
Antigua
Jackie, Caroline and John John Kennedy
Antigua
Tom T. Hall, singer/song writer
Friend of the family
Lee Marvin
Passing thru Guam
Bobby Fisher, Chess Master
He hid out for a few days at the USO in Kef during his Boris Spasky match

mmmmm 1993 i worked with a distant reletive of the KING , OTASC Joe Presely, had the extreme honor of meeting and conversing with Chairman of Joint Cheifs of Staff Gen john Kessey (hes my father in laws neighborin St Paul,MN and was at their 60th wedding anniversary hes 92 , last year.

also Had lunch with Tom Selleck in Waimanalo HI, ( was a freind of a good freind of minbe Tiger Wong)

had the pleasure of assisting the OWO training of Adm Gretchen Specht when she was a LTJG lolol

I got to meet country star Marty Robbins back in 1979 and share drinks with him and his band, met Gloria Estefan and her family in New York, met Master Chief Carl Brashear when I worked at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth and met Admiral Boorda when he reenlisted me and my husband Jeff in 1993. I do admit I have met quite a few Soap stars in the past....always fun!!

Yesterday I met and had a few drinks with Levar Burton in the United Club at an airport. Had a few beers and spent an afternoon with Shelly Duvall in Blanco Texas, spent more time with her S.O. Who was a really nice guy. Met Madeline Stowe in line for a flight, sat next to Stevie Wonder and Eric Estrada on flights once. (I fly a lot so am upgraded to First and spend layovers in the Airline clubs). My friend Mick McConnell, whom I met I while stationed in Sicily where he used to tour with a band that played the EM clubs has gone on to be the lead guitarist in a pretty well known rock band, Smokie, and recently released his first solo cd. Spent a whole day and evening with Mario Andretti years ago. That was fun and I was hosting that day as it was here in my home town, so I was driving which I thought even at the time was cool: me driving the world's most famous driver around. Sen Cornyn used to be a Judge here and and I met him when I was a legal runner. Met Dick Cheney at a function while stationed in Fairbanks. No one else in the shop wanted to go. It was 91 so he wasn't as famous then.

I've shaken the hand and/or had conversations with:

Governemt: John Kennedy (saw him close up only), Richard Nixon, Bill Clinton & wife, Al Gore & ex-wife, George W. Bush, Mitt Romney, Condoleeza Rice

Actors: Elizabeth Montgomery, Mike Farrell, Valerie Harper

Musicians: Harry James, Stan Kenton, Maynard Ferguson, Woody Herman, Doc Severinsen, Ed Shaughnessy, Boots Randolph, Danny Davis, Pete Barbutti, Mercer Ellington, Louie Bellson, Dizzy Gillespie, Gil Evans, James Brown, Eric Clapton, Allen Vizutti, Urbie Green, Bill Watrous, Willie Nelson, and many others

Bill Turner
former OT2
KEF and COSL (68-72)

Visits: