IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Location of Early NAVFAC in New York??

I believe it was Eastern Sea Frontier, 90 Church Street, New York City.

Six Sound Surveillance Stations (SOSUS) were placed in operation in Fiscal Year 1956, and a Sound Surveillance Evaluation Center was activated at the Commander Eastern Sea Frontier headquarters. A confirmation of the effectiveness of the southern segment of SOSUS was accomplished in November 1955.

A CENTURY OF U.S. NAVAL INTELLIGENCE Captain Wyman H. Packard, USN (Retired)
A joint publication of the Office of Naval Intelligence and the Naval Historical Center

Thanks for the replies and I welcome any other information others can provide.

I am aware of the Eastern Sea Frontier at 90 Church St in Manhattan, and that would make a perfect area for combining intell from multiple locations. During WW2 that facility combined aircraft sightings, DF fixes, ship reports, etc...

At Fort Tilden, the Mine Casemate area and HECP casemate are shown as "Leased to US Navy", in 1950s vintage maps, and we suspect the Navy was using them for harbor defense and possibly more. According to interviews with Army veterans, the Navy personnel stayed at the USCG base across the street and used that mess hall.

Thanks again!

All,
My input:(Early SOSUS)
May 1954:
USN system evaluation, using labs at Eleuthera and Bermuda w/Evaluation Center at COMCARIBSEAFRON, San Juan, PR.

I Feb 1956:
Evaluation Center COMEASTSEAFRON New York and the Control Center CINCLANTFLT
Norfolk, VA became operational.

1 May 1958:
Oceanographic System, Atlantic was established. CAPT W R LAIRD, USN assigned as
Commanding Officer. Oceanographic Units at Norfolk, New York, and San Juan were disestablished on 1, 15, and 30 May, respectively. (SECNAVNOTE 5450, 6 May 1958). - (more might follow) - Ed Smock

What Dick and Ed said.. 90 Church Street NYC

Visits: