IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2012 Capt Kelly Award

Back in April, this site announced Mr Bruce Rule's selection as the 2012 Capt Kelly Award winner. Based on the complete lack of responses to Jim D's post, it's pretty obvious to me that very few of our membership ever met Bruce and understand the impact he and several others had on our beautiful System.

Bruce joined the System in 1959 and did two tours. He came to work at ONI and started the Acoustic Intelligence (ACINT) enterprise. He was joined shortly thereafter by George Miller and Ron Smith (both System guys).

Over the course of the next four decades, these three gents authored virtually every word that was written about our craft. Ron still works with us at ONI (51 years looking at grams) and trails only Ed Smock in longevity. I think it's safe to say that no one will ever approach their stubbornness.

Hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that Ron and Ed have contributed 110 years of service to our System. Even Jim Wheeler should be impressed.

So friends....a little bit of historical perspective from a guy lucky enough to get paid to read grams for a while and meet and work with some of the legends of our time.

Playing golf with Pat Carmin and Al Brandt this weekend in Virginia Beach. No doubt that I'll crush Brandt but Pat is a different matter.

Good health and happiness to you all.

Nick

Re: 2012 Capt Kelly Award

Nic: Thanks for your post. "CAPT Kelly Award Recipient 2012". "Mr. Bruce Rule". The presentation and dinner event : Commander Undersea Surveillance (CUS) CAPT Charles S. Rauch accompanied by our friends “Ragnar and Inga” traveled to Kentucky on 18 Apr 13 to present the award. “What an honor”... Ed

Nic: I am forwarding two pictures of the award presentation to you, Rick, Jim and Jack for possible incorporation in the photo gallery. Ed Smock

Re: 2012 Capt Kelly Award

Bruce Rule is a legend to those of us who Saw the HEN and CVYD classes reach IOC. I didn't meet Bruce until 1972. I was a MEC Coordinator at COSP Ford Island during SpringEx and Adak was pretty busy. Bruce dropped in on the Day watch while on travel from points west and Will James introduced me to him. One hell of a nice fellow, and has forgotten more about this tradecraft than most of us ever learned. There couldn't be an individual who better fits the criteria for the Capt Joe Kelly Award. Congratulations to Bruce on long overdue recognition!

Visits: