Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shipmates?

"SMS"or "Sound Measuring Set". Pinkish-purple ink. As I recall, at watch turnover, the OWO was required to open the front access door, and manually "ground" the device by placing two fingers on the appropriate contacts causing the stylus to track all the way across the chart paper and return. This horizontal line would then be annotated as the official watch turnover time between OWO's. Where in the world do those sort of memories come from?

Re: Shipmates? (George's memory)

George:

Such long-term memories as you refer to come from the hippocampus which is a major component of the brain. It belongs to the limbic system and plays important roles in the consolidation of information from short-term memory to long-term memory and spatial navigation.

Just kidding. You may have a spatially eidetic memory. Such capabilities can be both useful and annoying. They can -
from my perspective - clutter the mind with responsive memories that - unbidden - pop up to confuse ongoing
mental processes. I could still write out a target telling msg format from the 1950s. Talk about a useless capability.

Bruce

Then there is the command: "Go get a bucket of steam in the engine room!" Or "Go get a potato stretcher from S-2 division!" How about "Go get 10ft of chow line!" HA! Then there is the SEA BAT gag to!! HAHA!!

WE used to send folks off to the Bosn locker for a can of Relative bearing grease....They usually sent them to the engine room, and then to supply...You could have a newby wandering around the ship all day, pretty good as it was only 312 feet long.....

I just checked in here and saw 2 unrelated items, one the passing of Hal Cook and the other this shipmates article. It was Hal Cook (then an OT3 or OT2) and Bob Smith who sent me off looking for fallopian tubes to repair some of our gear.....at my freshman command in Bermuda 1970 :)

Visits: