Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SOSUS is just another beer!

I noticed they are located in Decorah, Iowa. What a small world! I grew up in Decorah not less than a mile away from where they are now located (they didn't exist when I was there). Decorah was a great town to grow up in with lots of nature parks, trout streams and hatcheries, natural springs, caves, 100' limestone bluffs, Upper Iowa River - a wild and scenic river great for canoeing, Luther College, etc. The whole town sat down in a valley surrounded by hills (see website below). The big event each year was Nordic Fest.

With a Whiskey chaser no doubt following a performance of Romeo & Juliett.

You still got it Ed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JE

John,
Wouldn't it be a great idea to have a batch of SOSUS Beers available at the next SOSUS Reunion in 2014??????
What do you say shipmates!!!!!!
Chuck

A few cases shipped in shouldn't be that expensive. I'm in for $25.

Any other takers?

J

Its' an 8% IIPA beer! We can probably make it happen. Unfortunately, the hotel won't let us bring in our own alcohol (of any kind). I believe it's an insurance related rule but would also affect their bottom line at the bar! Let me look into it.

You could always get them as "party favors" put a ribbon around each bottle and have it at every place as a "nametag". Not your fault if anyone decides to drink it.

Jim's probably correct unless the hotel should choose to stock the beer for our occasion then those that wanted a souvenir or to drink a bottle or two could make their on decisions and shell out the cash accordingly.

What are the possibilities there Jim?

J

I should be seeing the hotel folks next month. I will ask them what the possibilities might be. Maybe they would stock the bar on Friday night (Happy Hour) with SOSUS beer and sell off the remainder on Saturday during the dinner party. - Jim

It sounds like a done deal that the 60th anniversary reunion is going to be in the same place again.
On August 6, 2010 you authorized me to check into the possibilities of a city/facility west of the Mississippi. Having the reunion in a more central area of the U.S. is a very good idea because it lessens the burden of travel for members living on the west coast. We both thought that the Renaissance in St Louis came up with a very good offer. I thought it would end up as a committee or association decision, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Be sure to call Courtney Brown (St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission)at 314-9922-0641 to let her know of your decision.

Russ, The vast majority of respondents to requests for volunteers and suggestions for the next IUSS reunion (60th) came in for a repeat of the last several reunions - East Coast; Norfolk, VA area. We never did commit for any other venue. That said, several reunions have cropped up around the continental US - Florida, California, Nevada and Maryland to name a few - Barbados and Bermuda. I'll send you a note with additional details. Sorry for any confusion. Will leave further discussion about the 60th for another posting on another day. - Jim

John,
Knowing what comes next if someone suggests an idea in this community I am waiting for a response from the Brewery. I sent an e-mail right after posting the message. Will keep ALL updated as to my progress. Hold on any $ now because I am not sure the quantity of that specific brew that is available in any one season and the cost.
Chuck

Chyuck,

All sounds good. I'll keep my cash handy. Let's face it. We're all sailors. If we get our hands on the beer, we'll find a place to drink it!!!!!! :)

J

Visits: