IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cape Hatteras complex...

Haven't seen this mentioned before, but while scanning Googles Earth noticed that, what was left of the complex at Cape Hatteras, has now been leveled and turned to sand. Only the asphalt roads remain. Spent almost a year there from Jan to Dec 1972. Never got back there to reminisce. Can't tell you how sad I'm feeling right now. Was and is very proud of my time and job I did in the SOSUS system. Another sad result of father time is that I have no memory of my fellow shipmates that I served with...accept Mike Lish OT2 who was from Bradford, Pa.

Re: Cape Hatteras complex...

Steve,

We all share your sense of loss.

I was assigned as a civilian to the Norfolk area from 2002-2006. I took the opportunity to visit both Lewes as well as Cape Hatteras. I found the same results at both places. There were sufficient landmarks (e.g., lighthouses, parking lots, etc) to ensure I was in the right places but the structures were completely gone. As you described, there was a terrible feeling of loss. Kinda made me wish I hadn't made the excursions. Although I wasn't actually stationed at either facility, I made numerous trips, both business and pleasure, to both sites. I had rather have the memories of how they were, not how they are today.

JE

Re: Cape Hatteras complex...

John's comments are spot on. I've seen Pt. Sur, Pac Beach and Coos Head in recent years, and it is both sad and eerie.

But - that just makes the effort by Smokey (Our Book) even more important to us. He managed to capture so much history - historical, but with the oh so important human element, those old days and places seem to come back to life.

Perhaps Bruce's writings should become a special section of "Our Book". I for one, will file them together.

Visits: