Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Little or no noise

Chuck:
I was thinking about you just yesterday! One of the guys in my bowling league noticed my Keflavik bowling shirt and mentioned that he spent some time in Kef as well. Late 70's he was with the VP-8 Det up there. Made me remember the night you made third in Arg and we shared the club (after our eve watch) with some guys from VP-8. Remember "meowing" at the tigers?

I recall using the same club venue to celebrate making 3rd although using the word "recall" and "celebrate" in the same breath is probably not too accurate.

When I think back about the price of a beer or a mixed drink during those times, it makes me feel oooold!!! (no comment required Chuck).

Just recently, Pat and I were discussing our "income" when we were in Arg in the middle 60s. As best I recall, I was making $29 per payday and Pat drew $95 per month. We lived in an apartment in Freshwater across from Murphy's store. We paid $30 per month for rent and $10 per month for heating/cooking oil. We didn't have a car and getting to work was a chore which bring me to a funny segue.

Ted Rentz (sp), Billy Howard and ? Reese approached me on a midwatch to sell me a 57 Chevy station wagon for $50. When I inspected it, the transmission was not working. "Not a problem", they said. Just buy the car.

So, I bought the car from them and the following day, they met me at the hobby shop garage with a perfectly good transmission. We, under the watchful eye of Mr Hunt, installed the transmission and the car ran perfectly.

However................, there was a 56 chevy sitting on the side of the road in Placentia without a transmission!!!!!!!!! I never asked and they didn't tell.

Good Buddies!!!

Just some ramblings to maybe get some "noise" going.

JE

George,
One of my fondest memories about making STG-3. The "tacking" on the first crow was another fond memory with the exception of the lingering pain. It truly is a shame that some of the honored Naval traditions, i.e. "Tacking" on the first "Crow", the "CPO initiations" and other traditions that made sense and were one hell of a teaching tool.
George I had visions of losing my brand new crow that day if the "Tigers" were to leap".
Stay safe and in good health.
Chuck

Visits: