Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Les?

This may be a shock to your system but your old pal is alive and well and flourishing at ONI.

Re: Les?

Nick:

I assume he is not involved with the ACINT lab.

Bruce

Re: Why do you still have that?

Nick, I still have that NAVFAC Bermuda coffee cup. You remember the Coffee Mess where we fed OTC Jim Horn Exlax without his knowledge (or any other day workers in OPS that fateful day!).

I also have the actuator from NAVFAC Keflavik 5111 beams 7/8 from the decommissioning. Also have "Excalibur", the metal straight edge from George Widenor's wooden plotting tables.

Bruce, Please ignore Nick. He tends to ramble. He (and Brandt) also have a problem finding 4-bladed Victor's. Just saying!

- Jim

Jim,

I don't think it was ex-lax that day. It was mineral oil that was put into the large 32-cup coffee pot by one of the young readers coming off the mid-watch who made the coffee right before turnover. I remember he used to sign his name as SNOT instead of OTSN. Can't remember his last name though. However, I sure do remember the line waiting to get into the second deck head. It wasn't pretty. I believe it was Jim Ciolek's section that was coming off the mid that morning. Has anyone seen him around? Maybe he'll remember!

-Craig Wilson

Craig, that's right! I forgot the oils. The Exlax came later when another sailor put shavings of said substance into the top of the coffee grounds before making that huge pot of coffee.

I still have my dress jacket with 3rd class crow on it which still fits and I wore for Halloween last year, an IV bottle for vodka that I picked up in Hawaii somehow and the stereo that I brought off Bob Gray in 84 when he left Barbers PT. TOM

I still have the T-shirt that the Scuba Club in Eleuthera gave me when I joined, then there are the 10 points and the SURTASS cup that was given to me when I changed from teaching A-school to the SURTASS building across the parking lot. Also, the dress uniform.

I still have the ONE and ONLY - first ever, OTC rating badge. It was hand made especially for me (from a drawing that I submitted) at a uniform shop in San Francisco in October of 1970.

I was stationed at NavFac Adak at the time, and there were no OT RATING BADGES to be had. As the first OTC to be so designated (after the OT rating was created), I was determined to have that rating badge (not the ST badge) for the day of my promotion and Chief's initiation.

It is my desire and plan to have that rating badge and my Chief's Dress Blue uniform (along with a synopsis of the OT rating) given to the Whitehall NY Museum, birthplace of the U.S. Navy - where I had my retirement in 1981.

Happy belated Veterans Day to all who served !

Irv

I have a lot of "stuff". I've always been one of those with difficulty letting things go. Patches, pins, coffee mugs, pictures, tools, etc. But what I still pack with me and treasure the most are my memories. People, places, sounds, smells...........what a wonderful past we share. The stories (lots of them true), the passions, the many wonderful people. We have been blessed. And I can never thank enough those responsible for this site (creation and maintenance).

George...one of my fondest memories is of the '78 Yankees comeback and our daily meeting to discuss the previous night's game.

Fun to remember that we had no live TV in Iceland then. The daily sports broadcast on AFRTS radio came during the morning brief so you couldn't hear it.

I was detailed to monitor the broadcast and report to you after the brief.

The second half of that season was alot of fun.

Still have the scrapbook?

Best to you,

Nick

Nick:

Your posting on listening to baseball on AFRTS while in Iceland reminds me of sitting in the living room at the Karasjok site in late May with the sun streaming into the large picture window at 1 AM listening to AFRTS, my only connection to the outside world other than the BBC. Outside, the snow was finally below the top of the meter-high fence that surrounded the compound and the ice on the river had finally "gone out" a week earlier.

That year, Ron Smith relieved me in early June after it had snowed the first four days of the month. It then got
really hot (86-88 degree) but we could not open the windows because of the mosquitos. With continuous sunlight, the building began to "cook."

I sent a message to the embassy in Oslo requesting an air-conditioner be sent north. Two days after I left, the temperature dropped to 34 and didn't get above 60 for the rest of the "summer.". Fortunately the ac was never sent.

Although I was there parts of several winters, it never got below -35F. On 29 January 1999, after the site was closed, it went to -60 officially and -65 unofficially. Water pipes buried 5m (17 feet) down froze.

Bruce

Yes Nick - for some bizarre reason i still have that scrapbook with all of the box scores of that July - Sept comeback. They were clipped out of the Stars & Stripes paper.

I think the oldest items I still have are a Zippo lighter with the Argentia crest on it and dated 1970, and a coffee cup with OT2 Scott on it. I have given several things away....gave my son my sword on his 30th birthday, my mounted medals to a grandson who loves anything military and will give my shadowbox to my oldest grandson when he graduates from high school in 2015.

Dawn,
How are you and how is Barry Doing??
Chuck & Linda

Memories... Of being with, working with the greatest group of people I've ever known. Though my time in the Navy was short, it make a huge impact on my life.

Nick -
I think you deserve a few kudos for asking such a provoking question - and to read the many responses it has generated.

I forgot one thing that I still have (and will bring it to the 60th IUSS Reunion....if I can get this 75 year old brain to remember it):

It is a Zippo lighter from NavFac Pacific Beach (ca: 1960) with the station seal engraved on it, which I designed in late 1959 as part of a contest to design the logo. It underwent at least one modification, but the 4 points of the original "COMPASS DESIGN" still remain.

Hope to see you in Sept of 2014.

Irv (Dee)

I still have my international drivers license issued In Kef dated 6-4-70. Don't recognise the picture though.

I have a truck load of "stuff" but my best is my Flat Hat, my set of tailor made Hong Kong 13 button blues with jumper with a zipper in the side.
Who else has their flat hat? Smokey, George?

Marshall -

Well, I "sort of" still have my flat hat. I gave it to my youngest sister (many, many moons ago) - but kept the U.S. NAVY ribbon from it, which is in a document protector in one of 4 volumes which I have of my Navy mementos.

She put her own ribbon on it and wore it, off and on, for a number of years as a teenager and young adult. Not sure if she still has it - will have to ask her at our annual family Christmas dinner. She is now 68 years old.

Like you, I still have my tailored 13 button blues, and still have my Pea Coat (somewhere in a box in my basement) - as well as my CPO Kahki's.

Best to you...........Irv

How about a complete file of "Z-Grams" from 1970 - 1972. I found them recently in a box of old navy files I've been weeding out for disposal. I think I'll hold onto them. Kind of interesting to read through the actual messages leading us into that touchy - feely era.

O.B. Corning

Lots of Stuff, probably too much. However my CPO Initiation Binder with every page of my "Charge Book", (some signatures readable some not)and numerous pictures of the two day event at US Naval Facility Eleuthera, 1979 remain my most prized position. Oh yea did I mention my Exam profile sheet which I needed 91.50 to make Chief and I had 91.50!!!!!!!
C. E. Cable
CPO USN Ret.

Yep.....still have mine. I actually wore it once. I buddy of mine and I wore dress canvass to the 1961 Thanksgiving Hoquiam/Aberdeen football game and we decided on wearing the flathat that day. After the game we frequented a few of the watering holes in Hoquiam, and never had to pay for a pitcher all evening.

I still have the pewter tankard that I was given in 1981 by my watch section when I transferred from Brawdy to Keflavik.

Visits: