IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Veterans Day

I wanted to send out a belated Veterans Day thank you to all of you, the group of people who served largely without recognition and contributed so much! I also wanted to tell you that, although the country is being severly tested these days, middle America and patriotism are not dead. Chris and I live in a small town in the Shenandoah Valley and went to a Veterans Day program on Monday. I envisioned about 25 people there but there were probably 200 or so, including kids they let out of school for an hour or two to attend and participate. The town's main streets were lined with American flags. There were alot of veterans there, including a guy who was on one of the planes that dropped "the bomb" on Japan. Most of the WW2 vets had canes or walkers, or needed help getting to the front to have medals placed over their necks....very moving!

Selfishly perhaps but pridefully for sure, I also thank the following:

Sabret Scott Virginia Militia through 1787
Charles Scott Sr War of 1812
Charles Scott Jr Civil War
Eugene Scott WW2 and Korean War

And to all 5 of my mom's brothers (3 Army and 2 Navy) my older brother who was Air Force and 6 cousins that I know of, all Army and Navy.

Thanks for indulging me, the older I get the more I appreciate my heritage!

Randy

Re: Veterans Day

Randy -

I wanted to give you a "thumbs up" on your post and join you in thanking all those who served our country, honorably, both in war and peactime.

You mentioned living in a small town and the patriotism and pride shown by the people there - and the many relatives of yours that served in the Armed Forces. I have a similar experience to share:

My family is from an area in upstate NY with many small towns, where we were raised out in the country. I can assure you that patriotism is very much alive and well here also.

About 4 years ago, the American Legion and Disabled American Veterans built a memorial in front of our former school (now the town offices, library, etc.)comprised of large granite markers (one for each wartime period) with names of those who served.

I, along with my oldest brother, attended a dedication ceremony there in June of this year, in recognition of veterans from various wartime periods whose names were added to those granite memorials. Mine and my fathers names were among those added. My dad served in the Navy from 1928-1931 and was medically discharged (not eligible for reenlistment). However, with the U.S. entering WWII, my dad (having us 3 older boys) volunteered and reenlisted in the Navy, serving from 1944-45 in the Pacific Theater.

This was one of the finest and most moving ceremonies that I have ever attended. There was an opening prayer, patriotic music and songs, speeches honoring those who served, and a flag ceremony/recitation - after which there was hardly a dry eye in the crowd of some 150-200 people (young and old)who attended. The ceremony was concluded with a short benediction prayer.

I believe it is also noteworthy that a nearby Home Depot, donated over $11K worth of materials and had 40 of their employees (on their day off) to lay pavers for two very long walkways and install all of the shrubs, flowers, garden area mulch, etc. for the Memorial!

As long as we have people who are willing to serve their country, I don't think we have to be overly concerned. However, it is a bit disturbing to hear that the Air Force cadets have now dropped "...so help me God" from their oath (in political correctness to satisfy a minority) - and, most recently, a high school (I believe in Nebraska) whose board voted UNANIMOUSLY to not require their students to say the Pledge of Allegiance, because they say they can not fit 10 SECONDS in the school day for their students to do so! But they can find time for bowling, political discussions, etc. etc.

Best to all,

Irv

Irv, that sounds like it was a great event and I'm glad those things are still taking place. Interesting that your dad served in the Pacific during WW2, my dad did too.He was on a converted carrier,USS Sante, that took a torpedo in the hull and 17 minutes later a kamikaze went clear through her wooden flight deck. She managed to stay afloat and made it to Hawaii for repairs. Dad later went to both poles several times over his career, including the first Operation Deepfreeze in '55/56.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Randy

My dad was also in the Pacific in 1943-45. He was a GM2 aboard the USS Mona Island (repair ship). The Mona Island was severely damaged in a typhoon off of Okinawa. He spoke about firing at the kamikazis flying overhead on the way to their "prime" targets.

Visits: