Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: USS New Jersey Photo in All hands

Greg...just Google USS New Jersey firing broadside....these results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=USS+New+Jersey+firing+broadside&biw=1024&bih=706&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_LmfUpKqNYb5oASAu4HwAw&ved=0CCoQsAQ

also this one:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&ved=0CDcQtwIwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTcfzpsbr6A8&ei=_LmfUpKqNYb5oASAu4HwAw&usg=AFQjCNFZiWY2PEX_mFD2am99cPTjoHuNaA&sig2=G8wng_3FtXmUKydiqIWsiwso this one:

It might have been 1968 or 1969 when we tracked the BB-62 on her shakedown cruise while in Argentia.
"USS New Jersey (BB-62) ("Big J" or "Black Dragon") is an Iowa-class battleship, and was the second ship of the United States Navy to be named in honor of the U.S. state of New Jersey. New Jersey earned more battle stars for combat actions than the other three completed Iowa-class battleships, and is the only U.S. battleship to provide gunfire support during the Vietnam War". My brother who was in combat in Nam, Army "Tunnel Rat", often told me when she fired inland the enemy went running scared.
Chuck

Greg, I am a certified tour guide and docent on board USS WISCONSIN (BB-64) in Norfolk, VA. I give tours inside the ship, around the main deck and the missile decks. We are often asked the same question regarding movement of the battleship when firing a broadside. The answer is quite simple; "It doesn't move at all".

It would be theoretically impossible for at 58,000 ton steel ship drawing a 38 ft draft to move. In fact, a study was conducted by Old Dominion University which concluded that if the battleship was placed on solid ice and fired all 9 of her 16 inch guns (and all of her other 5" guns, etc.) in a single broad side the ship might move 6 inches.

Pretty amazing. What sometimes confuses people are the photos of the ships from above during a firing sequence. What appears to be "movement" is actually shock waves pulsing through the water - similar to the ripple effect of dropping a stone in a lake if you will.

I'd be happy to try and get you some gee dunk from the ship archives if you are interested. I volunteer on Tuesdays and Thursdays and some weekends.

- Jim

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-022.htm

When I got out of bootcamp in Dec 67, I was stationed aboard the USS Wright in Norfolk. The New Jersey was tied up across the pier from us and a couple of my friends from bootcamp were stationed on her so I got to go aboard and had a guided tour. Very interesting ship.

Greg, Jim and all

I know this comment arrives two months after the fact, but just have to say it.

Yes - the overhead view with the shock circle is very impressive, and has FREQUENTLY been mistakenly ID'd as the "jumping frog of Calaveras County" effect! I've explained that myth numerous times myself - mostly to JROTC cadets, whose retention span seemed incredibly brief. If we think about it logically, we realize that 50,000 or so tons instantly leaping sideways X number of feet would play havoc with machines, calibrations, connections, liquids. And - oh yeah - sailors! Inertia - the deadly shipmate!

One more thing from the personal angle. I joined the Navy to be a sonarman. I was in Key West in 1967, and made the comment that I wanted to serve on the New Jersey. A chief passing by informed me - in NO uncertain terms - that there were several senior STG's already volunteering for a nonexistent sonar billet (the only sonar on BB-62 was the fathometer), and I'd have to "fight my way" past all of them first. And that was the end of that!

Visits: