IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: USS New Jersey Photo in All hands

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-022.htm

When I got out of bootcamp in Dec 67, I was stationed aboard the USS Wright in Norfolk. The New Jersey was tied up across the pier from us and a couple of my friends from bootcamp were stationed on her so I got to go aboard and had a guided tour. Very interesting ship.

Greg, Jim and all

I know this comment arrives two months after the fact, but just have to say it.

Yes - the overhead view with the shock circle is very impressive, and has FREQUENTLY been mistakenly ID'd as the "jumping frog of Calaveras County" effect! I've explained that myth numerous times myself - mostly to JROTC cadets, whose retention span seemed incredibly brief. If we think about it logically, we realize that 50,000 or so tons instantly leaping sideways X number of feet would play havoc with machines, calibrations, connections, liquids. And - oh yeah - sailors! Inertia - the deadly shipmate!

One more thing from the personal angle. I joined the Navy to be a sonarman. I was in Key West in 1967, and made the comment that I wanted to serve on the New Jersey. A chief passing by informed me - in NO uncertain terms - that there were several senior STG's already volunteering for a nonexistent sonar billet (the only sonar on BB-62 was the fathometer), and I'd have to "fight my way" past all of them first. And that was the end of that!

Visits: