IUSSCAA Posting Guidelines

IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How will you spend the Christmas Holidays?

Our Christmas will be different this year because our son and his family have relocated to Kansas. So it will be photos in the cloud and texting to augment phonecons. Our daughter and grandson are still here in Idaho, so we will have Christmas Eve at our house, and Christmas dinner at Cindy's. If the weather cooperates, we may spend New Years Eve in Reno. We would love to hear how you are doing, so lets make this the longest string ever! It will be a great way for all of us to connect with our SOSUS family. Merry Christmas from Idaho!!
George & Peg

Re: How will you spend the Christmas Holidays?

George -

From the cold and snowy "North Country" of upstate NY to you out there in cold & snowy Idaho: Best wishes to you and your family for a wonderful Christmas - and all the best to you in 2014!!

After our church service (our whole family will be in the choir), we will spend Christmas eve here at our home in Queensbury with our two daughters (Shelly and Jodi), their families, as well as several of our grandchildren and five of our great grandchildren.

Christmas day we will have a Christmas celebration at our youngest daughter's (Jodi) home. We are hoping to travel to North Carolina some time this winter to see our oldest daughter (Wendy) and her family. Her daughter, Amber, is expecting our 10th great grandchild in February - so we may wait till then.

We did a family trip to Oregon this past summer. It was a "heritage" trek, tracing Linda's amazing (Zumwalt)paternal ancestry: from the Alcase-Lorraine region in Europe, to the Mayflower landing in Plymouth, to the Eastern Colonies, then to the midwest - and, finally, to Oregon by covered wagon in 1845. You can read more of that in a letter enclosed with your Christmas card.

Hope all is well with you and Peg. Thanks for the post, think of you often.

Dee and Linda

George -

Your post is a great idea. The only thing that might be added:

(a) I would suggest that you consider reading each "SITREP" in response to your initial posting...........and,

(b) Once you have "filtered out" all the "background noise", maybe you could provide a "POST OP" brief for the members - perhaps in early 2014 !!

All those in favor of the above suggestions - end your response with a
"HEARTY.......AYE, AYE"

Dee

We take in strays for Christmas so anyone that doesn't have family locally is welcome for dinner and games at our house. We smoke a 22-25# turkey in the Weber BBQ and cook a big ass ham (pun intended)in the oven. In the 1980s we had only 10 show up, but we're up to 26-28 extras now.
The bad news this year is that we just found out that Mary Lou has breast cancer so I was going to cancel the crowd for this year. Mary Lou wouldn't hear of it. She said, "Where would everyone go for Christmas?"
George, you can always travel up to sunny Spokane if you miss the chow hall atmosphere. We always have room for one or two more.

Good suggestion Dee - we'll see how it goes. Opening the posts on the string is like opening Christmas Cards - I think we're going to enjoy this.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Donnes and I are hosting Christmas dinner for our family and the strays of the neighborhood that don't have family nearby or coming to visit. Should be a good turnout but will miss some who do have kids and Grandkids coming to visit, and I am pleased as punch for those who will miss our dinner for that reason. Daughter, Vanessa and her fiancée will be here along with Bee, his 91 year old Mother, Bee is a hoot, she can't remember the name of town in Oklahoma where she was born but remembers other things from the 20's and 30's with a clarity that is simply amazing. Son, Brent, will be here with the two Grandchildren, Jordan and Hailee. The wandering son, Rob, will spend his Christmas in San Diego again this year. Donnes's sister, Cheryl, has lived with us since the early 90's, but will miss this Christmas while she is with her son in Arizona.

A happy time with the family and friends, and I suppose we will eat the usual Rib Roast and all the side dishes until we are miserable.

Jerry & Donnes

Great idea George.
Lois and I are spending Christmas eve with her brother whose son and girlfriend will be leaving for Texas Christmas day.
Not 100% of the agenda for Christmas day, but it seems we always end up enjoying ourselves, sharing with friends and family or by ourselves.
Wish we were closer Russ, we would stop bye for sure. So sorry to hear about Mary Lou, but please let her know she is in our thoughts and prayers.

Merry Christmas to all, enjoy 2014 to it's fullest.

Dave and Lois Bailey

Between you and Dee I am feeling cold down here in sunny Florida, I mean it is 68 degrees on my patio in the shade. Linda and I will have Callie, Dave, and our three grand kids over Christmas eve for desert. They will all get to open one gift. Then Christmas day we will be going to Callie's (she was born in Tripler Army Hospital HI, 1972)for the day and watch the mad house. The 11 year old boy will be badgering the hell out of his 3 1/2 year old sister who as it turns out is just like her Mom and will take just so much before she decides to clock him with whatever she has in her hand. It is great fun. Our oldest daughter Denise, born in NFLD, Naval Hospital, 1969 will be visiting in January for her Birthday. Grand sons Vance 22, and Tony 15 will not be coming with her. Oh Linda's Mom is living with us since September 20th, so she will share Christmas with us for the first time in 20 years or so.
All Have a great Christmas and a safe New Years.
Chuck & Linda

Great topic George as this is a Very special Christmas. My daughter Lisa, whom I haven't seen since my retirement in 1992, and her family are coming from Australia.
They stayed in San Diego for a week so she could show them where she was stationed in the US Navy. This week they are staying in Brooklyn NY sightseeing and enjoying the Big Apple. Next Monday they arrive in Kentucky and will visit with us until 2 Jan 2014.
When they leave here it's off to Disney World Orlando for a week. It's a nice trip for 3 adults, 2 teens and a 6 year old.
we're all so excited

Here in St. John's, Joan and I will be celebrating with in-laws and friends as both of our children are away. Rhian (Brawdy 74) is in London and John III (COSL 77) is in Vancouver. However I will be meeting him in Chicago for a guys week including 2 NBA games, a NHL game and last but not least a Packer-Bear match. Looking forward to seeing him there and the best present besides being in his company would be him telling me he was becoming a Packer fan. O well, I can hope. Merry xmas to all and I hope everyone has a safe and exciting New Year. Might even get to the reunion if the boss doesn't have other plans ---- FROG

I will spend Christmas Day dinner with some of my family (not all - 6 children, 10 grand children and so far 6 great-grandchildren.

Then I will return to my hunt club (which borders on VA and NC) for more deer hunting and 4-wheeling (until 4 Jan 14).

A few of these days I will have to go back at NOPF DN so I can get my "gram-fix" (don't want to face withdrawal problems). Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. - "And, as Bob Hope would say, "Thanks for the Memories"... Ed Smock

Pat and I will go to New Orleans and pick up our Grandson (and my SideKick) William (age 6) this coming Saturday. On Monday, Will and I will do our traditional Christmas shopping for his Mother (Jonna, my Younger daughter) and for his Nana. Jonna will join us in MS on Christmas Eve.

On Christmas Day, we'll be joined by two of my Sisters and their families and my 96 year old amazing Mother. We'll all gather around the table for a Pat cooked meal fit for a King.

On the 27th, Pat and I travel to Jacksonville FL where my Older daughter (Brittany) lives with her Husband Joe and our two other Grandchildren Sydney (Age 5) and Davis (Age 3). So, we get to do it all over again.

There absolutely nothing to compete with Christmas with small children unless, of course, one gets to do it twice.

Pat and I, along with Jonna, William, Brittany, Joe, sydney and Davis want to wish each and every one of you a Safe, Happy and Healthy Holiday season.

John and Pat

Our family will gather for Christmas dinner with all the trimmings at our niece's home in Overland Park, KS. That assumes that the storms being tracked into the area allow safe travel. Otherwise we will open gifts on Christmas eve per over 40 years of tradition!

We're so thankful for having so many good friends from our Navy days! They have made this a Christmas to remember!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! Be safe driving out there!

Rick &Joan

Excellent idea, Master Chief! Kathy and I will celebrate Christmas here at our home in Virginia Beach with half of our family. Daughter Kelly (25), her husband Clif and our son Patrick (23) will join us for church and our traditional Christmas Eve dinner (includes baked ham and peanut soup) on the 24th and again on Christmas morning for Kathy's Swedish coffee rolls and breakfast before we open presents. Big turkey dinner follows that night. We always celebrate the birth of Christ in the same manner. Son Gary (38) and our 4 grandkids will be in Charlotte, NC with Gary's wife's family. Son Stephen (36) will be in Baltimore, MD with his new fiancé and her family. Hard to get everyone together when there are in-laws to share. But we had everyone together for Thanksgiving.

December is a month of celebrating. I celebrated my 60th birthday last week and two surprise dinner parties were thrown for me by Kathy here at our house.

The first event was comprised of 12 friends associated to my boot camp/OT A-school days (1974) and NAVFAC Bermuda tour (1974-76). Friends of over 40 years. In attendance was Pat Carmin, Al and Carrie Brandt, Nick McConnell, Dennis and Marian Christianson, Tim and Sandy Cornett, Chuck Gagnon and Steve Duty.

The second event (next night) included shipmates from our tour at Brawdy (1988-91). Friends of over 25 years. In attendance was Gerrit and Roz Mayer, Meredith McNulty, Scott and Janet Glover, Matt and Michele (Livolsi) Burns, Andy and Lisa Reeder and Danny Kylander.

These are among the many shipmates who defined my life and Navy career. Am glad we have remained close friends after all these years. I have a pretty blessed life with friends like this and I have an amazing wife.

Kathy and I wish each of you a wonderful Christmas and safe, prosperous and healthy New Year in 2014.

- Jim

Jim -

I read your post with some interest. Nick McConnell and Dennis Christianson were both in Bermuda when you and I were there. As for Nick, he most likely made a "lasting impression" on anyone who ever ran across him. But Dennis, as I recall, was a bit more reserved (almost shy??) and I would not have remembered him without your mention. I can, however, connect the name with his then "baby face" of many years ago. Almost a miracle, at my age. Will be 75 in 3 more months !!

Glad to hear that all is well with you - seems as though Kathy must be taking good care of you.

Irv (Dee)

First of all Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all out there.
I traveled to Fla for the winter and am presently in Homosassa. My wife and I will be spending Christmas Day with Phil Blauvelt and Charlotte, and Ed Snyder and Sharon plus a few friends from the neighborhood. I will miss all my kids and grandkids but still hoping to have a great time. Hope everyone has a peaceful and joyous Christmas.

Merry Christmas to all and best wishes for a healthy and happy New Year.

Theresa and I will spend Christmas in Fort Pierce, FL and will have dinner with some of neighbors and friends. Jonathan (Nantucket 75) and his wife and son are station in England for another year and then he retires from the Navy. Jeffery (Keflavik 78) is living and working in St John's. We spend our summers in Newfoundland and winter in Florida.

Best to you and yours from me and mine.

First of all,I want to Wish All of my SOSUS/IUSS Friends A Very Merry Christmas and A Happy and Healthy New Year! The Rossetti Family will be gathering at my Mom and Dad's House for probably the last time this year as they are now in their mid 80's and the tradition of a large Family Dinner and opening presents will continue at my homestead next year. God has Blessed us with fairly good health,and my Dad is now in remission from throat cancer treatments. I am now fully retired from the Water Treatment Facility here in Haverhill,Ma. Sometime in the near future,I plan to return to the Virginia Tidewater area that I love so much, for a visit and property search. God Bless You All!

We will be spending Christmas with Nephew & Nieces and their families in Southeast Kansas.

We wish a MERRY CHRISTMAS to all our shipmate from SOSUS Group and all Military Families.

Fredna and I will have all of our family this year for Christmas dinner. Our daughter & her husband, our Grand son Jason and his wife and their 2 boys
our granddaughter and her 2 boys and a granddaughter (single)great grands are 8,6,3 and 2. The house will be the playground for the day as our low for tonight is 24f in sunny south Mississippi.
Merry Christmas to All.

Visits: