IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Obituary - Mrs. Susie Parrish

It is with deep regret that I note the passing of Mrs. Susie Parrish, wife of Commodore, CAPT John Parrish, USN (Ret). Condolences can be sent at the attached link. http://www.burch-messier.com/bedford-funerals-and-obituaries-69

Susan Hegener Parrish "Susie", January 15, 1948—January 28, 2014. Loving wife, mother, grandmother, sister and trusted friend passed away in her sleep on the morning of January 28, 2014.Susie was born in Inglewood California to Joseph L. Hegener and Marjorie MabieHegener on January 15, 1948. She moved to Pacific Palisades California in 1950 and lived there until the age of 20. On June 1, 1968 she married Ensign John Michael Parrish (U.S. Navy), and embarked with him on a 30 year Naval career which took them and their family throughout the world. In 1993 after John's retirement they settled at Smith Mountain Lake Virginia. Susie was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1987 at the age of 38. She has spent the last 27 years as a breast cancer survivor, tirelessly raising awareness of this disease that affects not only the women who are diagnosed with it, but the entire family who live through its long lasting effects. In 2003 Susie was awarded the LPGA Komen Award for her work to establish the Rally for a Cure Golf Tournament at the Waterfront Country Club at Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia. Susie successfully organized the Rally for a Cure at the Waterfront Country Club for 10 years making it at the time the largest Rally in the nation. She is the only individual to win this award who is not a professional golfer or a corporate entity. Susie was an avid golfer until 2011 when her health no longer allowed her to play the game. Until her death, she was an active member of Resurrection Catholic Church in Moneta, Virginia. Susie is survived by her husband, John, their three children, Matthew and his wife Kristin, Heather and her husband Frank, and Hilary and her husband Bernie, eight grandchildren and her older sister, Mary Jo Bernard and her husband John. Susie is preceded in death by her parents, Joseph and Marjorie Hegener and her brother, Pete Hegener.The family thanks Dr. Daniel Temeles, his nurse Debbie McCovkindale and his Bedford Office Staff for the loving care they gave Susie over the past 10 years.The family also requests that in lieu of flowers, that a donation be made to the Susan G, Komen Foundation in Susie Parrish's name. A Wake Service with a Rosary will be held at 6:30 p.m on Monday, February 3rd and a Mass of Resurrection will be said at 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday, February 4th. Both Services will take place at Resurrection Catholic Church, 15353 Moneta Rd., Moneta, VA 24121 with Fr. Mike Champlin, O.P. presiding. Arrangements by Burch-Messier Funeral Home, Bedford, 540-586-7360.

Jim Donovan
CAPT USN (Ret)
Director, IUSSCAA

Re: Obituary - Mrs. Susie Parrish

John,
So very sorry to hear about Susie. Now that her pain is gone she will rest in peace. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time. May the memories of happier days help to ease your pain. You are not alone. Always, Ed

Captain Parrish -

I would just like to echo Ed Smock's comments and will pray for peace and comfort for you and all your family in this very difficult time. May you find solace in knowing that Susie is no longer suffering, and that her life-long efforts in the battle against this disease has surely made a positive difference in the lives of many.

Irv and Linda DeMatties

John,

I am so sorry to hear about Susie's passing. My deepest condolences my friend. She was always the brightest spot at a gathering and simply the warmest person I ever met.

Chuck Gagnon

John,
Very sorry to hear the news of Susie's passing. Stay strong and keep the best times foremost in the family's thoughts during these difficult days. God's blessings on you and the family, knowing that Susie resides with the Angels and is looking down to protect and ease the sadness of those she loved so much.

Best,
Rick and Joan Matthews

As a young female officer at COSP, Susie showed me that elegance can go hand in hand with strength. She has always been the picture in my head when I thought of what it meant to be a strong woman. She has crossed my mind countless times over the years, and I kept her close in my heart as a talisman for life's challenges. She never knew it, but she knows it now. God keep you close, Susie. Roberta

Visits: