Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Off Topic: Ralph Kiner (1922-2014)

I watched him play many times for my home team, the Cubs, and I'm still waiting for them to win a World Series.

As a Boston area native and lifelong Red Sox fan I can sympathize with Cub fans. However, once it happens, it can come in bunches.

O.B.

Circa 1960, A sporting goods shop opened in Kennett, Mo bearing Kiner's name. I happened to be in Kennett on opening day and had the opportunity to meet him but didn't take advantage of it because in those days, if you weren't a St Louis Cardinal, I wasn't interested.

Always regretted that decision. Ralph Kiner was the real deal.

J

Dick:

I used to think that if the Cubs ever looked like they were on the verge of winning the World Series, they would try
to find someone who had seen the last such event in 1908 and make that individual a guest of honor. That opportunity has now passed beyond the realm of what's possible.

When the St Louis Browns won their only AL pennant in 1944 (subway series which they lost), it was said that: "It took a war to do it."

The 1944 team was not even acknowledged as the best Browns team ever. That honor went to the 1922 Browns who finished second to the Yankees and had George Sisler hitting .420.

Best,

Bruce

Visits: