Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gram rolling contests !!

The very fastest gram roller ever was a reader at Antigua in 1972 who modified a battery powered screwdriver and added some wires that connected to a large battery that was hung on a harness around his waist. He replaced the screwdriver attachment with a tuning-fork looking apparatus that you stuck in the end of the new gram after it was folded over and stamped.

You could roll 8 hours of gram (only at the beginning of the new day) in about 3 seconds flat.

Paper cuts were a liability.

Neither the Ops O or OWO ever challenged us to a rolling contest.

To further clarify Mr Ellis' explanation of the proper use of the paperclip.

We routinely didn't bring the clips into play until the tightly rolled DSA gram would no longer fit between the whatchamacallit silver bar and the other doomaflatchee edge on the back of the table top.

Some of the more pain in the **** maint folks complained when we did this....allegedly it torqued the table top out of whack or some other tomfoolery....I never bought any of that.

Nick

I knew there was something missing in my Paper Clip Post. it was the
whatchamacallit silver bar and the other doomaflatchee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For the life of me. I could not think of the names of those parts. Thanks for straightening that out Nick.

J

If I remember when you had the gram all rolled up and sitting on the bar in back and you forgot and lifted the front up for a paper change it would fall off and you had to start again. How many times have you said oh S*%# I forgot, darn got to roll it again.

Jim I had forgotten that. We had such good times on watch...worked hard and played hard.

Visits: