Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: It's cold and I need an indoor hobby

Another road to take is that I volunteer at the Delaware Veterans Home and Delaware Hospice Center. Great way to give back. EKD

Since passing over responsibilities for the IUSSCAA web site and database development, and while trying to keep my brain from turning to mush from chemo and radiation, I decided to establish an Ancestry.com account and document my family's past structure and history. An absolutely fascinating cold weather hobby! I found out many things! One of my multi-great grandfathers was the first to bring the rotary saw blade to North America (Nova Scota) in the 1600s and established one of the first commercial saw mills in this hemisphere! Another was a Hessian conscript who decided that the American quest for freedom was far better than the British hegemonic thrust, so he deserted, traveled via night to South Carolina, and joined the 3rd regiment of Col. Francis Marion (The Swamp Fox) loosely portrayed by Mel Gibson in "The Patriot." He was later awarded a land grant in S.C. for his service and built a large tobacco plantation that lasted four generations. He was one of few who used no slave labor to farm his crops.

I've investigated over 3600 relatives to date, and it is a fascinating hobby just for the analysis involved.

It is indeed a great hobby Rick.....I have traced my ancestry back to the 1500s in England. Amoung my notable ancesters are Millard Fillmore(13th pres. of the US) Saumel Eastman, (Of Eastman Kodak), and Mary Baker Eddy (Founder of the Christian Science church)
Trying to get 1st level documentation on them is both frustating and fun.

Howard Tilton (old SO2)

I don't dare ask my wife a question like that!

Roger that Jerry, I see a whole week of in-house chores being complied if I ask that question myself.
Chuck

Bob:

One of my most valuable technical resources is a retired former nuclear submarine CO one of whose hobbies
is recreating stone tools made by early humans. Some call this "flint knapping."

An article in the Mar 1-7 2014 issue of the UK magazine NEW SCIENTIST states that "recreating stone tools opens a window into the minds of those who invented them," first 2.6 million years ago (MYA) and then progressively improved them starting 1.6 MYA, and finally made them into works of art apparently also used for ceremonial purposes.

The article discusses what is called "hierarchical thinking." a mental process by which the ability to envision and execute complex sequences of actions is achieved. Sophisticated stone tools with refined shape and sharp cutting
edges require this ability as does the selection of the best materials, often flint.

From the direction of the strikes made to shape such tools, the handedness of the maker can be determined even though they may have lived more than one million years ago. Not surprisingly, most were - as now - right-handed.

Use of search engines should identify individuals and groups for which this activity is a hobby.

Best,

Bruce

Renshaw: you are older than I thought. Cheers, Ed

Visits: