Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 60 Years Ago - 22 March 1954

As a fresh caught Ensign reporting to NavFac San Salvador in 1963 SO1 Ed Smock was my mentor and training officer; thanks Ed I hope I did you proud. EKD

Great post Ed. It's a pleasure and an honor to continue to work alongside you.

FYI - NOPF QA personnel presented Ed with a cake on Thursday to remember his noteworthy 60 year contribution to our nation and system.

A Legend Walks Among Us!

Congratulations, Ed. You are the anchor and in many ways the heart of this community often referred to as "The System". I thought the best way to honor your service was to reprint an article from the IUSSCAA Cable Newsletter from November 2010. I know he won't mind, but my friend Chuck Gagnon is the author. - Jim

A Legend Walks Among Us.
by Chuck Gagnon

If you are a recipient of this newsletter, somewhere, somehow you know my friend Ed Smock. I still have the pleasure of seeing Ed nearly each workday at NOPF Dam Neck and it’s an honor to work alongside him after all these years.

I was first introduced to Master Chief Smock in 1971 when I was a scruffy reader on Easy II. I was still so wet behind the ears that when I saw Ed walking the beams in my direction I couldn’t remember stars and ranks for CPO’s and broke into a sweat worrying about addressing him correctly. I figured that out and asked him about a tough target I was analyzing. “Master Chief, what do you think this contact is?” He looked at me, gave a wee smile as he stood there ramrod straight, slid the scale up and down a few times and said, “That’s your job, I’ll come back and you can tell me what it is.” He just smiled and walked away. It was the first time I witnessed how great he is with people and I still learn people skills from him today.

It’s a rare day that Ed and I don’t spend several minutes on the grams together figuring out a target, a phenomenon, a software or hardware issue, or just comparing notes on what we see. There are several ways to navigate the new gram system (ICP) to find the temporal and spectral resolution you desire, to optimize the display. Ed’s gram navigation goes clockwise whereas mine goes counter- clockwise and we laugh while thinking that our own way is better!

When I joined this organization Ed already had 16 years looking at grams, having started in 1954. He’s been part of the many equipment improvements and transitions that the system has gone through. Although he’s getting long in the tooth, he remains as keen as any other analyst, is sharp and eager to learn, and he keeps an open mind. He’s methodical and you can still watch him go through the steps of analysis as he engages a gram. I wouldn’t want to be a submarine and try to get past Ed. He’s a hunter and he’s going to get you.

Once you know him, it becomes apparent that his IUSS family is as important to him as the one on his home front. He has always been there for us. Whether it is camping at Cheatham Annex, being on an inspection team, being the night manager at the Bermadoo Club, testing software, CMC, or coaching a reader, Ed has been there for the system. He has advised everyone from seaman to admiral, from programmer to program manager, and probably every Commodore since the 60’s. He has served on both coasts with distinction.

Just look at what Ed did for us in creating Our Book. With that action he pulled together the story of our system, the story of us. Once you read Our Book you recognize his direct contribution to our many successes. Ed was there from the start. He probably painted the green doors! Ed is likely the guy that said the people are the system. He still lives by that concept and I witness it every day. Many topics on the IUSS Caesar Alumni message page have a positive or humorous contribution from Ed. He’s like the system’s first responder!

On occasion I get to work at NOPF Dam Neck before Ed does. On those days, I watch him enter the QA space and it is always with a smile. He gives a small hand wave and a greeting to everyone. He’s eager to get right on the grams with a “what’s been happening” attitude. If he’s wearing his red sweater, watch out. He’s trying to find something of interest and all the operators best be aware of that challenge. In many ways Ed is the system, its heart and spirit. We are very fortunate to have had him working with us for these many years. We have a legend walking among us.

Smokey -

Unlike some of the others who responded to your most timely post, I did not have the good fortune to have served with you. However, we both shared many good times in a most rewarding Naval career, with some of the best shipmates/friends one could ask for.

I was a mere 4-1/2 years behind you entering the Green Doors - and, like others, my base pay was the same $78 a month.

Recently, I took all of the pages of "Our Book" and had them bound into two volumes (Section 1 - my volume 1) (Sections 2&3 - my volume 2).

On my 75th birthday March 13th 2014, I sat my daughters and grandchildren down and told them I wanted to let them know my birthday wish: to share "Our Book", the story of SOSUS/IUSS with them - which I did over the next 45 minutes (of course, with the "broad brush" treatment). I let them know that this was just the first installment and they would be expected to attend future sessions for a more in-depth understanding.

I will ALWAYS be indebted to you and others who have given so much to our system and to our country. But the most credit undoubetedly goes to you (where it rightly belongs) to have initiated and contributed the most to have made it possible to finally share these events and stories with our families.

Thanks and BZ to you for your service to the Navy and our country.

Irv

Ed,
Looks like I'm a bit late to the party here in congratulating you on your 60th. I have great hope for the future with you maintaining the watch on staff, keeping the priceless continuity of "Been There, Done That" in place as the Bear begins, yet again, to rear up and threaten it's neighbors.

Wish I could make the reunion, but it appears that I'll miss it due to personal medical issues yet again. I hope we have the opportunity to share a Bass boat again one day Ed. Couldn't think of a nicer way to spend a day!

Cheers,
Rick

I had been overseas in Iceland, Newfoundland and Japan when I was transferred to COSL where Ed ("Smokey" as I knew him) was the master chief there....he made an impression on me then and still did all the years afterwards....we continued to run into each other for years....in san diego when having a few with Big Bird he told me to "quit drinking those sissy drinks"...cant remember what it was but it made an impression...its been just jim beam since!! Over the years we have continued to run into each other...some of my best memories were of when I lived in Reston, Va. and my wife at the time, Nicky, was out of town...Ed would stay at my place and we would eat what he had killed the previous winter and cooked for dinner and then we would both tell tall stories over maybe just a few drinks....as good sailors always do, we always made it to work the next morning!!

Ed, I got up from the computer and was standing in the kitchen thinking "there are so many things I didn't say".....all our years at TRW...I remember your lesson regarding getting a car to drive from va beach to Tysons....just get a junker and beat it to death...I still remember that car that had been rear ended and, sorry friend, looked like crap....all the times that you, I and Big Bird had a drink or two and discussed life in general....when your son keith, who was in logistics (TRW) working SURTASS and I asked him to come test software with me and my group...with mr woods...and when I left to go to saic keith later took over the software testing efforts working for joe grant....and I remember keith and I "helping" joe be a good civil servant...although he liked pacers strip club in SD much better...and also going to the iuss reunion where your wife was there and keith and i "might" have walked up just a little toasted which, it was very clear, she didn't approve of.. ....the torch is carried and passed on time and time again...and things will come around again, as history has proven....I thank you for our past friendship and wish you good luck buddy...im sorry I don't have a lot of professional stories to tell, but im happy to have had the personal ones....jack

Visits: