Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sticking My Nose (As Usual) Where It Does Not Belong

Bruce:
Thoroughly agree. But I think it odd that something like this isn't already in use. Tamper-proof to be certain. Mount is on the outside of the fuselage with NO internal kill switch. Probably be a good idea for it to have a totally independent power supply (also mounted outside the a/c skin). Perhaps each aircraft could have a unique signal/frequency/pulse that is assigned and built in to the airframe at manufacture.

Satellite tracking routines would automatically know the "who" and the "where" on a continuous basis. Lets really get complex. Perhaps the flight plan could be digitized and available for real-time correlation. Deviations beyond an established baseline result in instant alert signals to the airline or whoever else might need it.

No longer depending on radar with its limitations, or on a sleepy controller in the middle of the night, or on "dead zones", or successful tower handoffs; just a satellite keeping ever-vigilant.

Aren't we already doing something like this? Please tell me we are.

George:

If we are doing something like what you suggest, I have not heard squat about it.

Does anyone on this site have the connections to bring this matter to the attention of the proper authorities?

It seems almost criminal that the capabilities you describes are not in existence.

Bruce

You know Bruce - if we WERE doing something like this, there would never, ever be a 2+ week period where the world didn't know where an aircraft was located. There is only a limited amount of time for survivors clinging to a life raft, or worse yet, bobbing on the surface wearing a life vest. So a system isolated from in-air manipulation could be critical for personal survival.

I have to conclude that there is no system in place that functions in a manner that we are talking about.

The descriptions I'm hearing about the way INMARSAT communicates with the aircraft is that there are only "periodic" inquiries, and for sure the system can be turned off from within the aircraft.

Visits: