Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Admiral Jeremiah Denton Jr. 1924 - 2014

Rear Admiral Jeremiah Denton Jr. 1924 - 2014

We have lost a great American Hero.

Jeremiah Denton Jr., who as an American prisoner of war in Vietnam made the world aware of the abuse POWs were suffering, died Friday at 89 in a Virginia Beach hospice.

He was a naval aviator based at Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach when his A6 Intruder was shot down over Vietnam in 1965. He subsequently endured seven years and seven months of confinement, 48 months of which were in solitary confinement.

He was incarcerated in several prisons including the infamous Hoa Lo complex, which became known among U.S. servicemen as the Hanoi Hilton. A commander at the time, he was one of the highest-ranking American officers to be captured in Vietnam and became known for his defiant attitude toward his captors.

I remember seeing him live on television from Vietnam when he continued to “blink” his eyes. At the time most people (and the news narrator) thought that it was due to stress. It was later discovered that he was blinking “T-O-R-T-U-R-E” in Morse code.

It is with great pride that I remember shaking his hand and exchanging the “Peace be with you” greeting in church after he was released. Ed Smock

Re: Rear Admiral Jeremiah Denton Jr. 1924 - 2014

Ed,

I share your sentiments and am sadened over the loss of such a great American hero. I, also, remember seeing Jerimah Denton live on TV as he blinked the SOS message to make the world aware of the torture inflicted on him and other POW's.

As you mentioned, it was with pride (and I am sure very humbling)for you to have had the honor to shake hands with such a patriot.

I had a similar experience many years ago with another such hero: Admiral Stockdale, who was the senior POW at the Hanoi Hilton, with Jerimah Denton. Both were members of the so-called "Alcatraz Gang", and they led resistance to their captors - spending months (and even years) in solitary confinement in a 3' x 9' cell, little larger than a refrigerator.

Admiral Stockdale (then retired)and about 70+ other Medal of Honor winners, were being honored at a parade in Saratoga Springs NY (about 15 miles from our home) during their biannual reunion.

Myself and our youngest daughter were able to attend the parade and listen to his address for a huge crowd gathered at the Saratoga Springs race track later that afternoon. After his speech, I wanted to introduce my daughter to a true American hero. We met with him, briefly, exchanging handshakes and conversation. It was a truly humbling and prideful experience for both myself and my daughter. She has never forgotten that day.

Irv

Yes! Those men were hero's and did their country proud! I wonder if the war protesters, back in the day, BLAMED them for being there? Such as Jane Fonda! Isn't it amazing that we have our country (as it STILL is as of this writing), because of the sacrifices that our military men and women have made! He will be remembered by many of his fellow patriots. GOD BLESS HIM and the others who had to be "guests" in the Hanoi Hilton!

My Boss at CNFJ, CDR Bob Richards knew RADM Denton well and after his release he wrote a book, "WHEN HELL WAS IN SESSION". I was fortunate enough to have a copy signed by him. I highly recommend the book. An impressive gentleman.EKD

Visits: