IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NAVFAC Barbados

As luck would have it, I found this website and recognized some individuals in the photos of NAVFAC Barbados. I also was stationed there in 1969. Although I wasn't involved in the function of the base, I was responsible for maintaining the cooling for the delicate equipment as well as everything else that must be frozen, chilled or needed AC. I have a photo album on the Navyvets.com web site. I invite everyone to check it out. Keep in mind there was a beard growing contest going on for some of the photos. Would like to hear from you guys. Can't make the reunion on Easter week. You may also remember me as being one of the projectionist in the theatre or pounding down Banks Beer on Friday Happy Hours. Great duty and great shipmates. Hope I hear from someone.

Re: NAVFAC Barbados

George -

Well, I see that responses to you post have not been overwhelming - but I, for one, am glad to see that the OT types do not have a corner on the website. "New blood", especially from those who were so critical in support of operations at the NavFacs is most welcome.

I was never at Barbados, but was in Bermuda in 1969 as ST1. I am hoping that you do get some replies from someone who was at Barbados during the time you were there.

Thanks for contributing.

Irv DeMatties

Thank you for the warm welcome. Not my favorite site, (yet) but felt that I had to respond. I was stationed at Barbados in 67 and most of 68. Don't know why I said 69. In 69 I was in the Pearl of the Orient. The nostalgic bug has bitten me and with the help of the Internet, all I could find was picture of the current Barbados, with the exception of this site. It's a ruin right now and the 2nd reunion is scheduled for this coming Easter week. That is noted on the Navyvets.com website. Wish I was there but the US District Court in Philadelphia thinks it's more important to be on jury duty. At 67 years of age, life goes on. Thank you and God Bless for responding.

I was there from June 1968 - June 1970. EKD

Hi Ed and thanks for the response. I was there from 67 to most of 68. Your name sounds familiar but I can't place the face. No problem because my body has under gone major changes. I was running the strange car rally that was held at that time. Hope you remember.

Reported there in June 1968 and relieved Ben Hacker as XO.

It is really crazy that I was glad to leave Antigua and get back to the states! When I could have re-enlisted for Barbados or another "down range" Navfac! Instead I went to Norfolk (Comoceansyslant 78-80). I would have loved Barbados and I am sure you did!! I certainly haven't heard of anyone who didn't!

I was there from 71-73. I was a CS-2 at the time I arrived and worked my last 2-3 onths in the T-building after requesting a rate switch. I too remember Banks and also Mount Gay. Remember the beer softball games? Good times with a daughter born there in Speighstown. George the pig farmer just outside the gate, lots of memories.

Visits: