IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Second Retirement

With Ed Smock's recent announcement that he has no intention of retiring any time soon and Ron Smith soon to complete 48 years at ONI (plus 4 in the system), it became readily apparent to me that I was chasing Cal Ripken and Lou Gehrig and had no shot.

So, on 04 April, I called it quits a second time and am in search of a third round.

It's important to me that you, the folks who populate these pages, and those good people who have already passed after many, many mid-watches, know that you are directly responsible for the person I became. I didn't bring much to the game but some of you saw something.

I think it was more than luck that a big-mouthed, knucklehead, high school dropout landed in a system where I could, after some minor rework and adjustments, achieve some small measure of success and have a lot of fun doing it.

I don't have any dearer friends than the ones I made working in our beautiful system but now it's time to move on.

So, as the saying goes....thanks for the memories.

Nick

Re: Second Retirement

Nick -

I think you underestimae yourself and the contributions you have made to SOSUS/IUSS - and, more importantly, to those fortunate enough to have served with you over the years.

As for your "big-mouthed, knucklehead, high school dropout" comment......I must admit, I had my doubts about you for awhile (I don't have room enough here to go into the details) - but your subsequent career accomplishments and good grace laid those to rest in a hurry.

Whatever you choose to do, and wherever you go from here - I am sure you will achieve the same success and admiration of others as you have since those long ago days of the 70's.

I would consider it an honor if I were among those whom you count as one of your friends and shipmates from the system.

Looking forward to seeing you at the reunion in September.

Irv (Dee)

Nick,
One of the reasons for my recent announcement that retirement was not yet on my horizon was because of knowing all these years that one of your primary goals in life was to continue working with SOSUS/IUSS until you surpassed my so-called “time in the system” record.

It was out of respect for you that I wanted to help you stop the chase and retire somewhat easier. I want you to settle down, rest, and enjoy the benefits of retirement. You my friend deserve it. It was an honorable “yet fruitless chase”.

Seriously Nick you have served your country and the “system” exceptionally well in all the best ways possible. Your reputation speaks for itself. You will be missed by all of us.

You are a good friend and shipmate and I wish you the best. See you at the 60th. – Always, Ed

Congratulations, Nick. I did the same thing last May and lasted about 6 weeks before I had to get a part time job. Working is a hard habit to break... That said, your words exude humility, perhaps the most important quality found in the best of men. Get some rest, try to forget ratios and RPM ranges and take life easy for a while. Ya did good buddy...

Randy

Yo Nick,

1974-2014. 40 Years!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's amazing!!!

I remember the early days well. That "snotty nosed, quick witted" guy that may have been a "high school drop out" but exuded the confidence that made everyone around him know that he was gonna be a good one.

You can normally determine the quality of a man by the company he keeps. Nick, to be able to call the likes of Ed Smock, George Widenor, Dave Williams, Gary Peterson, Irv Dematties, Randy Scott, Jim Donovan, Al Brandt, Ron Smith, Bruce Rule, Ed McWethey, Doc Kalne, Claudia Clark, et. al. either friends or mentors (or both) certifies your 40 year career as highly,I repeat, highly successful.

And for us guys that were with you from Day 1, it comes as no surprise.

Congratulations on job(s) well done!!!!

Now, what's next?

John and Pat

Nick, what can I say but “Wow”! Thank you so much for your 40 years of service to our System, Navy and country - you truly are a great American. It is an end to an era! You have had such an impact on so many people in your career. I for one am a good example of that. You were the very first Sailor I emulated when I arrived at my first Navy command- with your excellent acoustic analysis reputation, sense of humor and straight shooting honesty. Actually, I think you even taught me to cuss!

I wish that Kathy and I could have participated in your ceremony. From the old days at NAVFAC Bermuda to the height of the Cold War at NAVFAC Keflavik, you have earned my respect and gratitude for your professionalism and friendship. When I recall all the fine men & women that I had the pleasure to serve with you are right up there at the top of the list with only a handful of others. You will never know the influence that you have had on so many people. I wish you a fantastic retirement and all the best in the coming years.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us". Nick, thank you for sharing so much of you with so many of us. You made a long lasting impact in my life.

- Jim

Congratulations Nick. Now you can come back as an overpaid consultant and make the big bucks

Are you willing to relocate or are you hoping to stay where you're at?

Rick

Nick, it was an honor and a privilege to work with you and Stan in the QA shop at ****eck. You showed me that while acoustic analysis could be a tough and demanding job, a sense of humor was also a requirement as well. Enjoy your second retirement, my friend. You've earned it and deserve it.

Nick,
We need to rent a bass boat and trek off in search of the might Black Bass one of these days. Enjoy your retirement! And keep your powder dry!
Rick

Hey Nick,

Congratulations on your second retirement. Thank you for working with me so hard at NAVFAC Guam to try and keep operational while we were transferring people out and organizing the place for turnover to the Guamanians. That was a very tough 27 months, 2 weeks, 3 days and a few hours for me. You were the Command Senior Chief, and never let me down. Thanks Nick. Working with you was one of the very few bright spots I remember during that tour. You always had my back, even when my front was regularly getting chewed up by COSP. Sending smiles and good memories your way. All the Best, Roberta

Visits: