Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lost Contact (820)

Sorry Chuck....the QA PO in me just can't let it slide.

We converted to ATARF 30 years ago...fade out is an "82" report.

Your accuracy stats are going to take a small hit this month.

Nick

I'm pretty sure Bob Eller is on facebook. Either under OTM's and OTA's or under IUSS.

Thanks Rick,
I did get Bob Eller's from another source. Hope to see you at the 60th.
Chuck

Re: Lost Contact (82) For Nick

Terry Babcock Bermuda 74-78; the one who called my youngest daughter Sally. I was also advised by a wise old Master Chief, who shall remain nameless, not to use the old nick name if I truly wanted to get in touch with him. So reluctantly as can be seen I dropped it.

Still no contact information Karen Clarke-Hansen Bermuda 83-87?
CEC

Unless my mind is going, Karen Clarke-Hansen was N2 Dept Head @ FASWTRACENLANT 88-89. I also recall that she was from Iowa. I know that's ancient history, and not much help. That's all I got.

Karen Clarke-Hansen...seeing that name makes me cringe just a little bit (Nothing against her though).

In early 1985 I reported to NAVFAC Bermuda as a young OTASA. LT Clarke-Hansen was the OPSO (Chuck Cable was the Current Ops or Ops Chief...can't remember which). After finishing my I-Div and mess cranking stint, I stood my very first watch, it was my new section's last eve watch of the string. At the time things were very busy (VERY busy, do the math...), the section was short on people, and I was assigned as a reader all by myself, with no over-instruction reader. By the end of that first watch, I was pretty frazzled, but happy that I had been able to keep up with the high tempo. Because I had to do it with very little supervision, it made it even more satisfying. I had survived my trial by fire! Feeling pleased by my awesome performance, I was satisfied as I started my very first 80.

Little did anyone know, I knew nothing about the concept of non-reportable annotation. They hadn't mentioned that in A-School, and because the watch was so busy, I was sort of left on my own.

Fast forward to the first day watch. I was again thrown into the fray on my own as a reader, but I was confident. Shortly after the morning brief, I looked up to see LT Clarke-Hansen striding purposefully towards me. "Uh oh", I thought. She was scowling, and wielding the QA Daily. Behind her was an entourage of fellow scowlers. She walked right up to me and shouted "NO NON-REPORTABLE ANNOTATION FOR EIGHT HOURS?!? HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THIS?? YOU ARE AN EMBARRASSMENT TO THE COMMAND!!"

Yikes!

It took a while to live down that moniker. And suffice it to say that I was assigned as a U/I reader for the next few watches. So yeah, I have the honor of being an embarrassment to NAVFAC Bermuda.

Visits: