IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What to Expect: A Prediction

Nearly 50 years ago, an ECHO II Class Soviet SSGN penetrated the western Atlantic at very low speeds. It was reported by the System but was not properly evaluated.

When the unit reached a position about 200 miles east of Norfolk, it accelerated to 20 knots as if to say: "Here I am within missile range of Norfolk."

When the Russian project 09851 submarine discussed in the writer's posting of 16 Aug becomes operational (2018?) with what may be a Doomsday weapons system, it could make a similar "for effect" stage appearance near the US East Coast.

The purpose of this posting is to alert active-duty System personnel that such a "political-impact" event did occur albeit before almost all of them were born.

Those who do not learn from History are condemned to repeat it - or words close to that.

Re: What to Expect: A Prediction

Yep! They had better do their homework and not be asleep at the wheel! Mid-watch personnel better be drinking their coffee and WIDRIO is the key! Annotation saves the nation!!

Re: What to Expect: A Prediction (Response to Dick V.)

Dick:

I have spent many hundreds of hours researching and composing almost 80 postings on this site to provide active-duty System personnel with information and analysis techniques I have concluded would not otherwise be available now or in the future.

I have absolutely no assurance these postings have been read by other than a very few and possibly none who are on "the front line."

In that regard, I have probably wasted my time. If anyone knows otherwise, please advise.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

As you requested some confirmation:

Your letter to the CNO, by itself, has had over 2000 refs in the logs this month.

I would guess that most of your articles get 10-20 views per day. We are not running Google Analytics and we only keep the current months logs available on the server so I can\'t really give you much more detail than that. We haven\'t worried about the statistics so much. Sorry about that.

I can assure you. Your articles get lots of views from lots of different ips all over the place.

I, personally, very much appreciate your presence here.

Thank you for all your work.

Russ

Edited in: An addendum. Also, Google knows all about your writings:

Google

And as you know, once Google\'s got you, they got you forever ;p

So, as long as the site is here the articles will be ready for those on the front lines whenever they go in search of information on the net.

Russ:

Thank you. I am reassured.

I hope System watch standers are among those who access the postings.

By the CNO letter, I assume you refer to THRESHER.

Best regards,

Bruce

Bruce: Ed Smock reads this so I am confident the info is getting to the active duty personnel. EKD

Bruce,
You are a legend in the system and ALL of your posts have been valuable to read.
I, for one, wish that I could have worked with you and learned as I did from some of the guys such as Tom "GATOR" Moore. I sure hope that there are some active analysts who read your posts! I find them very informative.

Re: What to Expect: A Prediction

Bruce, Rest assured these articles will remain available on this website for as long as it is hosted (i.e., the IUSS CAESAR Alumni Association continues to exist). We should investigate other avenues to host your archives and our histories on the Internet as well (Naval Historical Society, etc.).

Additionally, I wanted you to know that I am personally aware of several high level active duty personnel who actively read each of your posted articles. Active duty Sonar Technicians may or may not use the resource in routine operations but the information is invaluable to those who create and update IUSS and Naval acoustic training programs-both school house and operational curricula.

- Jim Donovan
CAPT USN (Ret)
Director, IUSSCAA

Visits: