IUSSCAA Posting Guidelines

IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The 60th Reunion Gala, Best One Ever!!!!

What a weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 60th Reunion Gala was a fun time. I tried to tell everyone that was involved in setting up the event that it was "The best one ever". I'm sure I missed someone so I think its appropriate that the entire community know the folks behind the successful event.

Capt Jim Donovan chaired the committee and was supported by CAPT Kathy Donovan, LCDR Christine Buswell, Mrs Pat Szewczak, LCDR Steve Rose, OTCM Mike Moseler, STGC Greg Clarkson, OTMC Paul Banks, Former Commodore CAPT Paul Heim and OTCM Ed Smock. What a job these folks did in making this a tremendously successful event. I'm sure I speak for the community when I say BZ for a job well done.

I think I am correct or very close to being correct when I say there were ~287 folks that signed up to attend and I believe, with only a couple of exceptions, everyone came.

It all began on Friday morning with a fun golf tournament at NAS Oceana. The golf was punctuated by low flying jets and aero acrobatics by an assortment of jets and prop driven planes that were practicing for a weekend air show featuring the Blue Angels. (Leave it to the committee to arrange a diversion from some of the worst golf I've ever seen :) ). After the tournament, we all enjoyed food and beverages to complement a social atmosphere of stories, stories and more stories. BZ to Mike Moseler for a fun start to the weekend.

Later that Friday, everyone congregated at the Marriott Waterside for a "Happy Hour". If memory serves, it was planned to run from about 6-9 PM. Well, it started about an hour early and when Irv Dematties and I left at midnight, there were still lots of folks "telling the news" I would really like to "Shout out" a few folks here but the facts are, there were so many old friends in attendance that it would be a crime to leave someone out. So, suffice to say, it was a wonderful evening and a golden opportunity to catch up with old and dear friends. I heard comments like "Man, I have not seen you in 30 years, 40 years and in the most extreme case, 48 years"!!!!!!!!!!!! Fellow members of the community, I want to tell you that it was a special time, created by a few and enjoyed by the masses.

Saturday (Daytime) was personal time. Saturday night however was a time when everyone donned their glad rags (especially Barry "Black Beard" Millard in his "Class A Pirates") and congregated for a wonderful meal and more social time. The evening was highlighted by OTCM George Widenor, OTACS Mike Weir and Mr George Miller receiving the prestigious JOSEPH P. KELLY award. BZ to these three for well deserved awards. The organized events left about 2-3 hours of social time in the evening which was primarily spent on picture taking and other means of capturing the magic. BZ to Commodore Paul Heim for his deft handling of the Emcee duties. He kept it light and moving right along in an attempt to preserve that precious social time. Nice job Commodore!!!

Pat and I left on Sunday morning with the intent of going to the mountains. Throughout Sunday, the conversation between us centered around what a wonderful two days it had been. Since arriving home, I have been in contact with a number of fellow attendees and everyone is saying things like "What a high" and "have not been able to talk about anything else" or "man I wish that could have lasted a bit longer"!!!!

The facts are that it was a well planned event, equally well executed and extremely well attended (considering our ages) which meshed into a perfect equation for creating another set of spectacular IUSS memories.

Pat and I had fun Folks. Thanks for the memories.

John and Pat Ellis

Re: The 60th Reunion Gala, Best One Ever!!!!

John,
You still have it! - Your ability to articulate verbally and in writing continues to amaze and impress me (and I am sure many more of us feel the same way). Your summation of the whole week-end cannot be improved on. As I have always said, the “System” – “is not the equipment, it is the people”. “People like you”.

Your friend forever,
Ed (or Smokie as you have always called me).

John:
What a beautiful job summarizing the weekend. I looked forward to attending the 60th for several months, and I was not disappointed. From the moment I spotted Ed Smock at the airport Thursday evening until the Monday morning cab ride back to the airport, I characterize the entire weekend as FANTASTIC!! The only thing I can add to your summary is the fine tour of the operations spaces on Sunday afternoon. My thanks to those active duty personnel who very graciously opened their "house", and gave generously of their time.

This was the best weekend I have had in many, many years. The people, the pride, the memories, the stories (most true), the life-long friendships, a special BZ to those putting this all together!
George

Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen. I was trying to come up with a way to close out the event and thank the handful of IUSS 60th Committee members who did all of our heavy lifting. And then I see these words from the three Master Chief's I admire most.

Maybe the way for me to do that is to share with them all of the kind words we have received regarding the IUSS 60th weekend celebration events.

My best regards, Jim Donovan

Visits: