IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: U.S. Navy Birthday (Oct 13, 1775) - 239 years old

John -

Thanks for your comment and feedback.

You always had a knack for drumming up the lighter side of things - especially when someone needed a good laugh, or just a chuckle. Only one that might have outdone you would have been Gene Howard, but his "jokes" might have been a bit too "colorful" for this forum.

Anyway, as one hick to another (I, being the hick from the backwoods of the Adirondacks), my answer to similar questions from those around these parts is: My "uncle" has been providing pretty well for me during the last 33 years, with a monthly stipend! And, yes, I enjoy those anniversary parties every 5 years too! Had an AWESOME time at this last one, not that any of the previous ones were anything to sneeze at.

Dee

Dee, that was a great post. I'm a huge early American history buff and the beginnings of the Navy are certainly part of that. Here's an interesting piece of history that just might help keep us humble....Master Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry is famous for defeating the British in the Great Lakes during the War of 1812, after which he wrote "We have met the enemy and they are ours" Amazingly, Perry was 27 years old at the time.

Randy -

I, too, am a early American history buff - and I did know about Perry defeating the British is the War of 1812. However, I was not aware of his age at that time. Pretty amazing!

I know a bit more of the events during that war which happened in our neck of the woods here in NY, - and there were many of them, as I'm sure you know.

Thanks for sharing.........Dee

Irv, I'm a bit familiar with events there but not an expert. Madison did see the necessity of controlling the lakes to defeat the Brits and inhibit their abilities on land. Speaking of Madison, my part time job takes me past Montpelier several times a week and Chris and I just toured the place again last month. We're headed to Mount Vernon Friday. Virginia has so much Revolutionary and Civil War history, I just love reading about it and seeing it. If you haven't read my bragging before, my 5X great grandfather was in the Virginia Militia in the 1780's, his son was briefly in the War of 1812 and his son was in a W.Virginia regiment during the Civil War. Must be the Scot/Irish blood that drove them :)

Gene Howard - Great joke teller and guitar strummer. Anyone know of his where-bouts?

Paul -

I know we never served together, but Gene and I were together in OT Maintenance school around May - Dec of 1971, along with John Ellis and others of whom I have no memory. You may want to check with John Ellis to see if he knows where Gene might be hanging his hat these days. I never heard from him after we left Key West. If you happen to locate him, I would like to have any contact information you come up with.

Thanks............Irv

Visits: