Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Photo Library

Thanks for covering for me Irv and Randy.

Thanks for all who replied.....used google chrome and was able to view all the photos.....just wished that my memory was as sharp as a 24 year old. After 42 years removed from service I just don't remember the many great people I worked with during my time on Midway, Adak, and Cape Hatteras...but looking at the pictures of those duty stations I think of the pride I have in the knowledge I served in the Navy as an OT.

Steve -

Thanks for your service to our country - and, specifically, your time as an OT. Just wondering: when were you at the various NavFacs that you mentioned? Glad you were able to view the photo library.

Irv

Entered the Navy on Jan. 29th 1969...Great Lakes. Fleet Sonar school (OT school) Key West Jun.to Oct 69. NavFac Midway November 69 to November 70. NavFac Adak December 70 to December 71. NavFac Cape Hatteras Jan 72 to Dec 72....3 Years, 10 Months, 6 days....

Steve -

Thanks for responding to my inquiry.

Looks like you and I were at Adak at the same time. I got there in late Jan of 1970 and left in May of 1971. I made Chief in October of 1970, qualified as OWO in Dec of 1970 and later was ODIV LCPO before I left for Maint school at Key West in May of 71.

While your name "rang a bell" in this 75 year old mind of mine, I can not recall your features.

How did you get so lucky to go from Midway to Adak, back-to-back? Did you know OTC Dave Herrick during your time at Hatteras? I think he went from Adak back to Hatteras around the time you were there.

Irv

I guess the reason I was so lucky to be transferred to Adak after Midway was I was good at identifying submarine signatures, do you remember first class named Gary Peterson. He's passed away now, made chief before he retired, he was my watch supervisor at Adak. As for chief Herrick, I do remember him as he tried to get me to reenlist for most of the year of 72....fortunately, he failed and I returned to my hometown of Moline, Il...where I met my wife of 40 years, had a son and now have a 7 year old granddaughter and 4 year old grandson....retired after 32 years working for the City of Moline....life is GOOD.

Steve -

I remember Gary Peterson very well. He was a top notch OT. As for Dave Herrick, I just spoke with him on the phone back in Sept (on our way to the IUSS 60th reunion in Norfolk). He lives very near Cape Hatteras, retired - but apparently not in good health. I was unable to meet with him on our trip up the Outer Banks, but he gave me the phone number of another Chief you may recall from Adak - that would be Chief Willie Fogleman, who is long retired and living in Durham NC.

As for myself, retired (1981) after 23 years active. Had 2-3 careers after the Navy, fully retired at age 70 in 2009. We live in upstate NY (Adirondack Mountain area), marries 52 years, 3 daughters, 9 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren. Yes, life is good, indeed !!

Nice chatting with you...........Irv

Visits: